spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
New name, promoter, hopefully better show

February 12, 2002

By DAVE STREGE, The Orange County Register

The show was a flop.

Remember the 2001 Southern California Outdoor Sports, RV and Travel Show at the Anaheim Convention Center a year ago January?

If you don't, who could blame you, even if you went? It was hardly memorable.

It was long on RVs, maybe, but short on travel destinations and other exhibitors. The question of the show became "Is this all there is?"

Walk up one level of the convention center expecting a load of exhibitors and you saw the Bass Bin and not much more.

Well, no wonder the show didn't make a return to Anaheim last month.

Instead, a new promoter takes over the Anaheim show, a promoter that is bringing at least one tie to the old H. Werner Buck shows that were so popular at the same venue.

This week, the Anaheim Sportsmen's Show becomes the third show title in seven years since Buck Werner's wife, Sharon, retired from the business. The show manager is Marilyn Howard, who was associated with the Werner shows from 1966 to '95.

Since then, Howard has been helping Harry Sleight and Shirley Kocman of H&S Productions and Plus Events of Las Vegas, the new show promoters for the Anaheim Sportsmen's Show.

Plus Events produces seven other shows covering Sacramento, Reno and Las Vegas.

The show will be heavy on RVs and outdoors travel. Fishing resorts from Alaska, Canada, Baja and Idaho will be there.

One thing the show won't be long on is fishing tackle. The Fred Hall Show in March has that market cornered.

One problem the new promoters faced was a late start, having finalized the contracts Sept. 1.

So the inaugural show was put together on short notice. For instance, the Bass Bin, a staple at these shows, was unavailable.

"If it wasn't for the fact I had so many previous contacts from past years, I'd have had trouble getting the ones I did get," Howard said.

Still, Sleight is promising "a good show" and said next year's production will be twice the size of this week's, which covers 155,000 square feet.

Among the top features are drawings for an Alaskan cruise and Baja fishing trip, a series of RV seminars, a casting pond and fly-fishing demonstations, a luxury fishing boat and a 6,400-square-foot campsite with professional landscaping.

Show hours are noon to 8 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 6 a.m. Sunday.

Admission is $8. For information, call (800) 843-7175.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Admission is $8 and parking will be another $6-$8, and beers will be way to expensive. I think I'll go to the gunshow instead.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom