Sportsmanship

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
As I left a refuge yesterday a young girl about 13 was checking her birds in.  She had several widgeon, and five ringnecks.  Her obviously proud father was with her and I could tell they'd had a great day.  About then some idiot with one duck told her that all but the widgeon were "trash" and he would rather eat dog#$&* than those.  The girl looked at him and told him that her family ate all of the birds they shot and she would rather shoot her birds than the hen pintail he was holding.  I was floored at how quick she had responded and how smart she was about duck conservation.  I only got a first name (Angie) but I would like to congratulate both you and your father for being good hunters and conservationist.  I hope that idiot realized what a jerk he had been.  If we have young people like this in our ranks maybe we won't lose the battle after all.

Respectfully,

huntducks

Reaction score
May that guys shooting from this day forward be all hen wedge heads.

Also a good swift kick in the cojones would have been the best he should have gotten, he most likely swatted his hen on the water or picked up someone cripple.

Jay

Reaction score
A**hole. May a thosand geese fly over his head, just out of range, and all dump their turds on that guy.

Fubar

Reaction score
Jay if the geese are "just out of range" he will probably shoot at them anyway.               Fubar

jerry d

Reaction score
Why does there have to be an idiot in every crowd.

Would liked to have seen his face when she set him straight. Good for her!!!

Bet her Dad is double proud of her now.......

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
As far as people are concerned why is it there's a stupid inconsiderate moron every ten or so. Yet I've had thousands of geese fly over my head and none were stupid enough to pitch in my decoys? Living proof brain mass is not directly proportional to intelligence. Has anyone done a statistical analysis on this. New topic for blind discussion.

Swiss Lad

Reaction score
In nature you have the fittest survive.  Humans appear to be going the other way.

mustystubs

Reaction score
Time to revisit the topic of assigning points to birds that count towards a limit.  Spooneys, buffleheads, ringnecks, and ruddys should be one point until you get to 10 for a limit.  Pintails would be ten points, hen mallards five, etc.  That way hunters would be encouraged to take less desirable ducks and mister loudmouth would get to go to all that trouble for one lousy bird.

Jay

Reaction score
I really like the point system because it does the following:

1. Allows you to limit in many dirfferent ways - limiting out has it's own satisfaction.
2. Encourages bird identification before pulling the trigger.
3. Provides encouragement for hunters to take the "lesser" ducks.

On the down side though, it' s harder to remember what's worth what. I have enough problems with: one pintail, two mallard hens, two redheads, four scaup and one canvasback (after 12/14).    

Baldplate

Reaction score
On the surface a point system just does not work. It is bad enough now when I know guys are still shooting at circling pintails after they all ready have one on the strap. If we were ever to go to a point system and 1 hen pintail was you limit, you can bet there will be alot more pintail pitched into the tules as waste. There is no perfect system but in my humble opinion I would rather stick to the type of system currently in place.

mustystubs

Reaction score
Pate:

I agree that some people just wouldn't get it.  A couple of weeks ago I saw hunters at Delevan blast away at first a cormorant and then a speck after that season had closed.  They rocked the cormorant and missed the speck.

Perhaps DFG could hand out laminated cards at the check-in stations with the duck species and their respective points.  You could carry these into the field for on-site reference.

huntducks

Reaction score
mustystubs

encourage them to shoot the cormorants, that would not bother me at all.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Florida Fishing 0
BelchFire Campfire 9

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom