Spotting scope magnification?

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
For those of you that carry your spotting scope a lot what do you think is the highest practical power that you use it on? I have a couple of buddies that say above 30 is almost useless in most applications. I will admit that mine rarely leaves the truck. I do set up near the truck and glass but I don't hike in vey far with it. Thinking about getting something small and possibly fixed power so it is easier to carry. Since I carry 10 x 50 Swarovski binos I haven't carried a spotting scope much. I am not a true trophy hunter so I am not analyzing how high the B&C score would be. Just trying to decide if that deer a mile away is big enough for me to go after or if that dark spot under the tree is a buck or a log.

Aught-SixGuy

Reaction score
I have a 20-60x80 HD Vortex, and I use the max setting occasionally. Generally if something is far off enough that I need to justify the hike lol. Generally 40x is my max.

JohnCo

Reaction score
I usually use the 20x setting on my scope. That usually enough to tell the size of the frame even at far distances. Once in a while i'll zoom into 40 or 60x when I'm trying to count points on a buck thats really far off.

bughalli

Reaction score
I tend to do most of my glassing with bino's (often from a tripod) and then pull out the spotter to zoom in and evaluate something specific. So I tend to use the higher magnification 50-60x. If scanning with a spotter (rarely), then mostly use 20-30x. Having a decent tripod and more so, a good fluid head makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I glass off of my shooting sticks 90% of the time since the 10x50 binos get a little heavy and I will glass for way longer periods of time when I support them. Probably going to go with a small variable spotting scope that I am willing to carry. 15x30 magnification or something close to that. Not going to buy high end German glass yet.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I purchased a Leopold Gold Ring 15x30 x 50 spotting scope. The $500 dollar model not the one Randy uses. For that price range I liked it better than a Vortex that another guy has. The Vortex was a little more money. You will not confuse it with a $3000 German scope but then I didn't expect to. At over a 1/2 mile in the morning sun I could clearly see points on a forkie. With 10 power Swarovski binoculars I knew it was a buck but not sure how big.

TheGDog

Reaction score
I have the Vortex Razor 11-33x50mm and 22x power is about the highest where it still remains a very crisp image.

Top Bottom