Spotting scope or large binoculars

freezer

Burris optics and I have had a problem. In order to rectify $60 and a 60% discount on any one thing I want. They also offer Stiener optics. I ahve a pair of Stiener 8x40 armored Binoculars that serve me very well. I'm pondering something stronger for distant spot and stalk situations. Since these will be sitting situations I will be able to use larger and more powerful optics. I wear glasses which may be an issue, I don't know I haven't used either before. In put please.

Where's Bruce?

You must have binos...a spotting scope is a secondary tool for long distance glassing. What are you hunting and where? If you must choose between binos and a spotting scope, get the binos. You'll use em a lot more.

Beastmode

If you already have binos and like them I would stick with them and get a spotter. For long distance judging and spotting. I spend Atleast 90% of my glassing behind my binos. Probably more like 97-98%. Make sure you like what binos you have and are comfortable glassing a long period of time with them. Once you have that you should get a spotter.

Bayboy2020

You must have binos...a spotting scope is a secondary tool for long distance glassing. What are you hunting and where? If you must choose between binos and a spotting scope, get the binos. You'll use em a lot more.
I was under the impression he already had binos and was choosing between a pair of the those big military style binos or a spotting scope

freezer

Bayboy your right. I have 8x40 armored Steiners. I wear them in a shoulder harness and they're very comfortable. Alas I've been hunting blacktail in the woods. I've been thinking of hunting the Trinitys and clear cuts. In addition since Burris has offered me 60% off anything I want I may as well make this good. I have one good distance rifle and a second dedacated distance rifle comming soon (custom 6.5-06). Someday I'll hunt antalope and caribou. The only nitch I have that Burris can fill is high power glass and so the question, binos or spotting scope? I've held 12x binos before and can't seem to hold them steady enough. They do have a female thread under them to attach a tripold and if I go that route that's what I'll do. Just starting my research and opinions from folk who use them.

Bayboy2020

Ya if you have a pair of binos you like and are looking for something for long range spot and stalk the spotting scope is the way to go. They are making them now a days extremely compact and easy to use with multiple attachments for tripods, bipods, even ones that attach to your car window and ones that you can even attach camera's to.

Top Bottom