Spotting Scope Utility

R_Jacobs18

Reaction score
I usually hunt chukar, but will chase quail if they’re in the area. I don’t have a dog, most of the time it’s me and my dad seeing what we can find. Do any of you guys use a spotting scope to scout out mountainsides? I know chukar can be hard to see but I’ve seen them at about one hundred yards with just my eyes. If I could just watch a mountainside from 600 yards that would save a lot of climbing. Anyone use one? Thanks.

mojavejohn

Reaction score
I keep a monocular in my vest, just for that reason. I did buy a pair of high power binoculars and a spotting scope to keep in my truck for when I'm cruising around. I haven't used them to much yet, but I too think this is a good idea.

MariotheBarber

Reaction score
Hmm, maybe I should pick up that cheapo spotting scope I always see on sale at Harbor Freight, I never thought to use that

dblsmk

Reaction score
I will use a monocular often, especially since the eyes aren't what they use to be.

turkeyman85

Reaction score
Better off getting a high quality spotter. Than you can use it during deer cheap ones will be tough to spot chuck at or quail with. Trust me. Buy once and save the headache.

R_Jacobs18

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. That’s what I was figuring, the spotting scope would be better for all around use. What’s a good price to actually get quality start at? $150?

Bankrunner

Reaction score
My 2 cents...
You'll hear "buy the best optics you can afford" every time the subject comes up.
Top end spotting scopes are well over a grand and you can pay over $2,000.
I've used both low end and high end scopes and to me the low end scopes are garbage and even the high end scopes seem to spend most of their time cased in the truck. The main reason they stay in the truck is that you can't use em without a tripod or a window clamp.
The top end scopes have their uses in long range spotting for deer and some people with swear buy them but if you're wanting to spot deer at 1500 yards or less a good pair of 10x42 binoculars is all you need and you can rest em on a walking stick or a partially rolled down window on an open truck door.
I use my binos most because they're easy to use.
You can get a good pair for around $300. Check out Leupold Cascade, Upland Optics Perception or the Nikon Monarchs. I think they have most everything the top end binos have except they they give up a little at very low light conditions.
I use my cascades a lot, I take em on vacation, I take em deer hunting, I take em to a concert, take em to look for some chukar, yes i would........

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom