Spring Bear - Snake River Oregon

Shay Mann

Reaction score
After a 5 hour stalk, and wait... over the radio crackled the phrase "Blonde Bear Down"
My hunting partner Jordan arrowed his first bear in some nasty country. I spotted the bear two ridges away, and Jordan was off to the races, not taking much in the way of food or water, he just humped it over to the ridge. By the time he got there, the bear was down in the opposite draw in the timber.

Instead of packing it in, and calling off the stalk to wait for another opportunity, he decided to sit the bear out for nearly 5 hours. Seeing that the ground was torn to pieces from him working the biscuit root, he figured that the bear would be back. And he was correct.

The bear made his first appearance at nearly 100 yards working over the rocks. Jordan moved down from his perch, and made the final stalk to where he could get a good range at 35 yards.

He pumped one arrow into the bear, and he whirled down hill and then like all good bears should do, he came back uphill. Awaiting was Jordan at full draw with another arrow. Jordan slammed the bear at 45 yards, and the bear took a tumble like no other.

Tumbling, falling and rolling the bear finally rested nearly 1000 yards from where he shot, down in the most rugged country around.

As I type, the bear is hung in a tree over a creek, and we are heading out tonight, to camp at the trailhead in preparation to pack him out in the morning. The way we are going in to get the bear is different than how we killed him. But needless to say, we have a 12 mile round trip hike tomorrow, and it won't be easy.

Time to chow up, grab some buddies, and make the 3 hour drive back to the trailhead.

Man bear hunting if FUN !!!!

[attachment=51764:DSC_0030.jpg]
[attachment=51765:DSC_0035.jpg]
[attachment=51766:DSC_0060.jpg]

Attachments

bodega

Reaction score
Awesome! Beautiful country. Thanks for sharing.

Arrowslinger

Banned
Reaction score
Sweet!!! I just got off the phone with Shay and Jordan, those boys sound tired and are refueling with some grub in town. Congrats to both of ya!

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Simply awesome! You guys are bad boys humpin' that country this time of year. Awesome pics too. Shake Jordan's hand for me.

brushstomper

Reaction score
You guys are hunting freaks! That looks awesome! Congrats on a great and unforgetable hunt. That is some tough looking country. Thanks for sharing with us all.

Railguner

Reaction score
I'm sure I could fall down that country REAL easy...but how the heck do you get up it? I just aint got them legs anymore. RG

JNDEER

Reaction score
Great story and looks to be an awesome hunt...that is some crazy terrain for sure!

Reaction score
The bear has officially been packed out. It was just shay and I though... seems all our buddies had to work (on a saturday?). I guess the difference between a real friend and just a buddy becomes apparent when you have meat to pack.

Shay Mann

Reaction score
Like Jordan said, the bear is officially out. We slept at the trailhead last night, and started in this morning. Everything went really smooth. A few hot spots on my feet, but I will live.

Of course, nobody was running out of there houses yesterday screaming "let me help!!!" So it was on us to get this bear out.
We climbed up to where the meat was hanging, still on the bone. We spent about 45 minutes, fleshing the cape, and boning out the meat. The meat was nice and cold and the hide was looking great.

We made it back down to the trail, and had to cross the creek twice. With all of the spring melt, the water was moving pretty fast. No room for any mistakes with a full back pack of meat and hide.

What an awesome trip !
[attachment=51788:DSC_0098.jpg]
[attachment=51789:DSC_0104.jpg]

Attachments

Top Bottom