Spring Season at Bryson's = Hunt #1

Rockboy777

Reaction score
Thanks Deedy for a super fun Spring Turkey Season - Cant wait til Fall

I have had very little turkey hunting experience prior to this year. I killed a few birds on guided hunts by spotting and stalking and sitting and waiting. The guides did a great job but I felt I was mostly tagging along. Last Spring spent the entire season on public land. Well didnt have many opportunities to try to call birds. Saw a few but the only real shot to kill anything was when a jake flushed in front of me. Giant quail hunt. Didnt get any feedback on if I could call a bird or not...which leads us to Bryson's!!!!!! Deedy has tons of experience and is willing to help as much or as little as you need.

My first hunt there was during opening week. I arrived too late to scout the turkey woods. Hopefully no matter. Deedy showed me the pictures of the opening day results, Four hunters Four big birds. Deedy had the birds patterned. I'd be hunting some birds that roost behind a farm. The birds would leave the roost, feed in a horse corral and and hour later the turkeys would start to wander off. The turkeys weren't resonding to calls and the plan was to set up along a travel route and ambush them. Didnt even need to be in the field at dark thirty.

We head into the field at 7:00. See a flock of 10 birds on a ridge, see 3 more just inside the hunt property. Man am I ready to get out there. Deedy drops me off to her suggested spot. I get set up and almost instantly hear gobbling. The birds are responding to my calls but seem to be moving away. Not more than 30 minutes go by when I get a loud response. I sopt 4 huge gobblers headed down a hill and headed right for me. I'm thinking "I can't believe Im going to kill a huge bird only 30 minutes in" I call once more and point the gun at my lone hen deke. Four huge gobblers right by the deke. Two real close together at 20 yards at the deke, one at 30 and another at 40. My eyes are first shopping and try to pick out the largest one. They all look like carbon copies. Most my attention and gun are at the two closest birds. But they are too close together to shoot just one. They only paused a moment then they start walking away. All this is happening in a few seconds. I really expected more time to be able to make a decision but my hesitancy costs me a shot. I watch them move off, gobble and now strut about 80 yards away. I think no matter, its early I'll get another chance.

I sit there all day. It starts to rain. I don't hear any more birds. A pair of quail try to get out of the rain and come 3 feet of me. I see a hen who also wants to get out of the rain and comes within 10 fet of me. Alarm putts so I think thats it.

Wow..sorry this post is getting too long.....

Deedy shows me more spots / options for the next days hunt. The birds are around. They are responding but not coming to my calls. I wonder is it the time of year or do I just suck? The second day is coming to an end when I deceide to try and spot and stalk some birds I hear at a distance. I dont know if they will get to me before the end of shoot time so I deceide to go to them. I see them. They look like the same group of four from yesterday. I think only one bird hears me. Alarm putts. Then three birds head toward cover but also right towards me. These birds are again close (20 yards) but too close together. I realize this is going to be my last shot at a shot but they are way too close together. I chose not to shoot as they scurry away. Bummed no bird but had a great time in the field.

The pics of the only two birds going home with me
(CANT UPLOAD)

BrysonHesperiaResort

Reaction score
Hi Rockboy!
This is such a great story ... thank you so much for taking the time to post up your experiences from our hunts. Rockboy777 can now call a bird under almost any conditions, it was great to watch him progress in his turkey hunting skills. Turkey slayer!
We had a great time comparing notes, I ended up learning a bunch from him too!

Send the pix to me - I'll shrink 'em down for you and post them up.

Rockboy777

Reaction score
Thanks you again for the wild pork chops and sausage to try out. Plan on trying them out as well as some turkey for Mother's Day. I didn't mention how nice the resort and accomodations are!!!. When you make a trip there have Deedy show you the Before and After Photos of the Resort. You will be amazed!!!

Again already looking towards Fall. Whats your opinion of this Hardcore turkey hen decoy. Really realistic looking but its $100 bucks and looks like a pain to carry. Will a realistic decoy help in the Fall if the turkeys are busted up then hunted as they are called back in? Would a realistic decoy hen make a difference earlier in the season when the birds are still in bachelor groups? I still cant figure out why the four toms wouldnt pause longer over opening week. I would think these male bigs are walking around as a wandering sausage convention and if a horny hen pops up I think they would be all over it. Thanks again for your help.

brian

BrysonHesperiaResort

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rockboy777 @ May 8 2008, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Whats your opinion of this Hardcore turkey hen decoy. Really realistic looking but its $100 bucks and looks like a pain to carry.
Will a realistic decoy help in the Fall if the turkeys are busted up then hunted as they are called back in? Would a realistic decoy hen make a difference earlier in the season when the birds are still in bachelor groups? I still cant figure out why the four toms wouldnt pause longer over opening week. I would think these male bigs are walking around as a wandering sausage convention and if a horny hen pops up I think they would be all over it. Thanks again for your help.

brian[/b]

Me personally, I'm not one to spend a bunch of money on deke's, but that's just me. Jesse had a saying the other day that " patience kills more birds than anything" and I'd have to agree. If you are not in a blind, sitting very still is a huge factor too. You've already got that part down though. Patterning the birds is a big deal for success as well.

I don't think anything would have stopped that group of four Merriam's. I'd seen them on numerous occasions during that time frame. They just were on a mission- just not quite sure what their mission was. They walked right by the reals hens, didn't even stop at all. They finally did start responding about a week later. Go figure...

Here they are on the first week of opener...they were doing "drive-bys" I swear...I think these birds came from quite a ways off (probably miles) and were unfamiliar with the territory and the other birds. Seemed like it took them about a week to get with the program. They weren't scared or anything, just unresponsive for a bit.

[attachment=51719:merriams_bryson.jpg]

Attachments

Rockboy777

Reaction score
Hi Deedy. Thanks for the response. Did you kill any of these birds this year? Just wanted to know what the specs of these birds were cause they looked huge

BrysonHesperiaResort

Reaction score
We got one - there was originally five of these guys cruising around. He weighed 24 lbs, 11 inch beard and 1.25 spur. Nice bird, big Merriam, he made the cover of WON...
Deedy

Top Bottom