Spring snows & pigs

huntducks

Reaction score
I just got back from Mo.& Ok. I had planed on leaving on Tue. but a call on Sun. from a farmer friend in Mo. had me driving 200+ mi. back, he told me that maybe 5000 geese had moved back in or where ever they came from, and were using his two ponds to roost on, after calling another friend in Mo. we met monday evening and headed out Tue. AM 3 of us and the landowner, there were 4-5 thousand geese on a 30 acre pond two of us came in from the dam side the other two on the other side by some farm equiptment, I had two 870 with plugs removed 10 shots and my partner had a 870 3.5" with his plug in, we waited till maybe 15min after shooting time so we could pick the specks out and opened up, between the two of us we got 14 birds and the other two got 5.

That afternoon we headed to another pond about a mile away and waited for some snows to move in, but thats all we did, we got 5 cripples off of it most likely from the group from the morning shoot.

I decided to head north at first maybe 50mi to a refuge, but the geese had moved out and up, I met 3 guys there from NoCal there first trip there and they had just got in,  I talked with a warden and he said head north, these guys invited me to join them so a few hours later we where into the same geese Kid & Whitey where shooting, Wed evening brought me into range for some pass shooting and I got 5 birds in about an hour all with my 10ga and all long shots using Hevi-shot reloads, after talking to Kid on the cell that night and doing some scouting earler our group of 4 headed out AM after breakfast, but while eating someone opened the door on my truck and took my camera bag, scratch one 35mm Canon and 3 lens.

We found a huge field with maybe 10,000 birds landing and 8 other guys that where going to put a sneak on them, so we got into a tree line on the other side of the field they pushed the geese up and where shooting(never saw if they got any) but maybe several thousand came over us well 3 of us 1 guy never fired we dropped 11 birds between us, I talked with Kid again and he told me where to go that afternoon, so we headed there with zero pressure from any other hunter and several thousand geese in one rolling hill field two of the guys decided to put a sneak on them, and we tried to figure out which way they would head out, the guys putting the sneak only fired a couple of shots as they could not sort out there targets, too many specks and mallards mixed in, they got 6 birds and it looked like we guess right and they were all moving right at us at about 100 yards out they turned just enough to only give me a shot at the outer wing of birds maybe 30 yards up but 40 out I dropped 3 and the other guy who was 30 yards closer got 4, but one of the birds he got was double banded with a neck coller, that was the first one I have seen shot with a shotgun.

If you read my other post I did get 1-1/2 pigs one real nice boar 190lbs and my brother and I teamed up on a smaller one 125lbs, my brother place is filthy in pigs.

I left thursday afternoon and drove straight home with a 3 hours sleep in Grants NM. the drive throught Kansas sure keeps you awake as the number of deer crossing and hit on the road was something, I hate fast food & black coffee.

Hey Stef & Matt do we tell them about this one snow that we fired a couple of shots at.

Whitey1

Reaction score
Rirht on Greg!
       Glad to see your trip turned out good after all.
The amount of birds to the north is unbelievable you just half to see it.

Whitey

DanD

Reaction score
Congrats!!! Sounds like it was a good trip.  I have not been on one of those spring goose hunts.  You make it sound like they are well worth the trip.  I hope the info I sent you was helpful.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom