Mentor Wanted Spring Turkey Hunting. San Luis Obispo & Los Padres National Forest area

jamesd58

Reaction score
This is going to be my first season hunting turkey and I've been doing a lot of research about scouting/hunting turkey, but need help putting all the pieces together. I live in San Luis Obispo and am planning on mostly hunting in Los Padres National Forest. I've already been out to Pozo to do some scouting, but don't really know where to start. There's lots of area to cover and from what I've seen its not exactly the easiest terrain. If anyone plans on heading out there to scout or has any places to start from the help would be much appreciated.

jamesd58

Reaction score
Thanks cali-carnivore. Do you recommend using fire roads/dirt bike trails as easy ways to get around and call every mile or so? or do you think its better to get out and try to walk ridges around areas that look like they might have some turkey.

cali-carnivore

Reaction score
Fire roads are fine because you want somewhere that you will be able to set up early in the morning. I usually take a crow call and an owl call and alternate them every 200 yards or so. If you are scouting early you can locate their roost. you can scout all day long the same way to locate where they are feeding or getting water. When you get that gobble in return do not try to locate him or keep calling just move on. I like to have a few toms located to hunt through out the day. It is always nice to find the roost, but it is not necessary.

solus

Reaction score
james try the american camp ground. Its near you

jamesd58

Reaction score
james try the american camp ground. Its near you
Thanks I'll give it a try in a week or so. I just did a quick google search and the USDA website says that the American Canyon Seasonal Area, I assumed that was the place you were talking about, is closed and that the campground is only open during deer season. Can I still park out there and check things out?

solus

Reaction score
well techniquelly it is private land but they have a special use permit which allows hunting during deer season. I wasnt sure if it was closed in other times of year. On the way there before you get there. there is a road that passes a forestry station. Take that road into the forest area and there is turkey in there as well. You might even find some pigs in there. Ive seen them back there as well. Make sure to get out there before dawn and use crow calls or hawk calls to locate them on the roost. Atleast get a general area where they are. Sometimes they can be down in the deep stuff where you wouldnt expect them. Also dont be afraid to ask some of the ranchers there. I talked to one a few years back and they would have allowed me to hunt the property if they hadnt already leased there hunting rights for the land. Good luck also you can try near the coast I have seen them all through those hills.

jamesd58

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm definitely going to check it out. I've seen turkeys right outside the gate next to the turn off for the SPCA on someone's land and right next to the men's colony off of highway 1 and that's what got me so thinking about turkey hunting. I asked the gate guard at Camp SLO if they would have hunting in 2013, but he was hesitant, then said no. I'm not aware of any hunting areas closer to the cost from Pozo. Have I overlooked any public land on the west side of San Luis Obispo?

solus

Reaction score
its mostly populated around there. If there is its probably locked in by private property

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom