SpringField XD

superduty

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a good gun for carry, comfort, and concealability. I don't have allot to spend at this time so I was looking at the SpringField XD in 45 caliber. They also have it in 9mm and 40 cal. What do you all suggest. I can pick the 45 up for around $540. I took the Glock and the SpringField apart and just looking at the quality of the parts used the SpringField seemed to be much supperior. I have never fired one and was looking also for reliability info. Thanks Guys

Speckmisser

Reaction score
It's not really my "style" of handgun, but the XD is a nice little weapon. If you're gonna do anything besides plinking with it, the .45 would be my choice, followed by the .40. There's just no good reason to get the 9mm except if you want to shoot a lot of targets and tin cans. I'd much prefer the oomph of the .45acp if I were actually using it to defend myself or my family.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of plastic guns either, but the XD was handgun of the year in 2005, I believe. It's a good quality product and Springfield seems to stand behind them. I would choose the .45 over any other round offered. You should also look at the S&W M&P which also comes in .45 acp. This gun has the advantage of three different grip panels to fit your hand better. They also seem to be well supported by the manufacturer.

My overall recommendation is to buy a Kimber 1911.

Mntngoat

Reaction score
I'm a 1911 guy and have had several. you can't go wrong with .45

ML

foulshot

Reaction score
Superduty,
I'm in the same boat as you. Looking for that all around. Have you looked at CZ? I've looked at a RAMI in .40 and it seems like a pretty well built piece. A co-worker has 2 and really likes them.

You can see my thread a couple down from this one as to what I'm looking at.

XDHUNTER

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mntngoat @ Apr 11 2008, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm a 1911 guy and have had several. you can't go wrong with .45

ML[/b]
No argument about the 45 acp.home and carry have one for home defence.

I use my glock and XD primarily for competition and dont have any problem at all...

superduty

Reaction score
Thanks to all that responded.
I found out yesterday that I don't actually have to own the gun to get it on my permit. Now all I have to do is find someone with a 1911 for the class. I think I am still going to make a purchase of the 45XD. The wife really wants to hit Cosco in Twin Creeks so maybe while their I will hit the Sportsman Wharehouse and take a look at their selection and prices. Cash in hand and no waiting.

jaehunt

Reaction score
Dont do it man, do yourself a favor and check out the S&W MP45 first, there is no comparison, and yes I am biased.

Jason

ps. hope all is well dave.

XDHUNTER

Reaction score
F Y I only. on XD 40

Did you know that you can have three caliber in one gun and only use the same magazine for the three. 9, 40, 357sig.

shoot-it

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (XDHUNTER @ Apr 13 2008, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
F Y I only. on XD 40

Did you know that you can have three caliber in one gun and only use the same magazine for the three. 9, 40, 357sig.
[/b]
I heard something about that I need to look into it thanks. I put a box threw it yesterday it was a blast 50 rounds flew by quick I need a 500 round case LOL.

Tank

Reaction score
I love my smith & wesson M&P .40, and I was also looking at the springfield XD. Six one way...half dozen the other. Either one is an excellent choice....go for .45 acp..

If you've got the $$$ though,...go for a 1911 .45acp.....Kimber.

superduty

Reaction score
Going to the shop today to see what kind of solid pricing they can offer me and probably ordering something. If they have it in stock I can walk out with it today.

JOE MACK

Reaction score
I've got a SA XD45 4-inch service. It's never had any malfs in 4000+ rounds now. To me, it's a Glock with a grip safety(which I like). I've also joined the carry what ammo you can club. XD45 in a free state = 13rounds in mag and one up pipe for a total of 14. Gives one the warm fuzzies.

JOE

superduty

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
If you've got the $$$ though,...go for a 1911 .45acp.....Kimber.[/b]
Well I've come to the conclusion I'm just going to blame it all on you guys here with Mrs. Superduty!!

I made the purchase yesterday. I bought the Kimber 1911 Pro Carry II with the night sights in .45acp..
Now my only problem is it won't be in town before my class on next Sat. so I have to find someone around here that owns one and that will let me borrow it for qualifying. Slim chance of that so far. Maybe I will have to delay my class date untill she shows up.

Thanks guys for all the opinions and for my empty wallet.

Mntngoat

Reaction score
Good work. I've had a couple Kimbers and it's hard to go wrong with them.

ML

shoot-it

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (superduty @ Apr 18 2008, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
If you've got the $$$ though,...go for a 1911 .45acp.....Kimber.[/b]
Well I've come to the conclusion I'm just going to blame it all on you guys here with Mrs. Superduty!!

I made the purchase yesterday. I bought the Kimber 1911 Pro Carry II with the night sights in .45acp..
Now my only problem is it won't be in town before my class on next Sat. so I have to find someone around here that owns one and that will let me borrow it for qualifying. Slim chance of that so far. Maybe I will have to delay my class date untill she shows up.

[/b][/quote]

My brother in-law bought a kimber pro II we just shot it like it was. It had a few (fte) failed to eject. I myself am not impressed with the gun. It's to small not much to hold on to
. We cleaned it after and lubed it just haven't shot it again yet to see if we found the problem. I hope yours does better.

superduty

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
shoot-it Posted Apr 21 2008, 02:41 AM
QUOTE(superduty @ Apr 18 2008, 06:42 AM)
If you've got the $$$ though,...go for a 1911 .45acp.....Kimber.

My brother in-law bought a kimber pro II we just shot it like it was. It had a few (fte) failed to eject. I myself am not impressed with the gun. It's to small not much to hold on to . We cleaned it after and lubed it just haven't shot it again yet to see if we found the problem. I hope yours does better.[/b]
Well Heck, I finally pull the trigger and look what I get.
I guess I have no choice other than to stick with the majority opinions around here. As for being too small, that's what I picked this gun for is concealed carry. I want it to go unoticed without having to wear my carhart in the summer. Reliability is just as if not more important though. That's why I spent what I did and not $300.

Tank

Reaction score
I've had my Kimber for about seven years now and shoot the heck out of it with no problems what so ever. It was like that out of the box.

superduty

Reaction score
I miss spoke and just realized it. I didn't buy the Pro Carry II, I bought the Ultra Carry II with the night sights. I've never owned a Kimber and I have my fingers crossed that I don't experience any malfunctions that you expressed here shoot-it. The gun still hasn't come in yet due to back orders with Kimber and now I'm hoping it doesn't come in for acouple more weeks. Elko Sheriff tells me there taking around a month on the CCW's. If it comes before the gun it will save me $25 on the background check which I will use for a new holster.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom