Squirrel hunting in Southern California

Rich

Reaction score
Where can I go, what to use, and what are the regulations and rules regarding it.  I know that ground squirrels have no season and no limit, so I will probably be going after them.  Any information anyone can provide would be great!

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Rich:

Welcome to Jesse's. I think you'll really enjoy it here.  Lot of great guys here, and a lot of Calif. hunters.
As to ground squirrels.  Their considered non-game animals, so there's no season or bag limit.  You can take them with rifle (22 rimfires very common), handgun, or archery equipment.  It just depends on the regulations for the area your shooting in.  Jesse has posted a shooting map of San Bernardino County that will show you shotgun and rifle areas.  
As to where to find them I don't know of any really good spots, but they're very common in a lot of places.  Most farmers and ranchers consider them pests, so you may be able to get permission to hunt them on private property if you approach the land owner.
We are planning a JHP coyote hunt the first weekend of June at Carrizo Plain.  I've been told that there are a lot of ground squirrels there.  This would be a good chance to meet some of the guys and get some good shooting in.  Even if you don't coyote hunt, come out and shoot the squirrels.  

Rich

Reaction score
That sounds great, and I would love to go, but the only thing is, I will be gone fishing up in bishop for that weekend, kinda an annual thing you know.  By the way, where is the area that you are speaking of?  I live in the San Gabriel valley, in between LA and Orange county,  Hacienda Heights if youve ever heard of it.  Thanks for the info, and Ill have to check out that map and see what I can find

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
The Carrizo Plain is west of the Bakersfield/Taft area.  There's a lot of posts here about it with directions.  
Yes, I know where Haciendo Hts is.  I'm just down the 60 from you in Chino.  We've got quite a few So. Cal hunters here.  May be some in H.H.  I know we have some in Whittier, La Habra Hts, and Diamond Bar.  
The JHP hunts are becoming pretty common in So. Cal.  We've had at least 5 this year so far.  Next one is a pig hunt at Tejon ranch on May 10-12.  
So don't worry about missing the Carrizo hunt, cause they'll be more.  We always have a campfire going with some really good people around it.  

Rich

Reaction score
Sounds good to me.  Ive never done any hunting before, so I figured I would start out small, and see if its something that I like.  Ive been fishing since I was 5, and have only enjoyed it more and more as Ive gotten older.  Thanks for all the info, and if anyone else has some information on some good squirrel hunting areas somewhat near LA let me know!

Rich

Reaction score
Sounds good to me.  Ive never done any hunting before, so I figured I would start out small, and see if its something that I like.  Ive been fishing since I was 5, and have only enjoyed it more and more as Ive gotten older.  Thanks for all the info, and if anyone else has some information on some good squirrel hunting areas somewhat near LA let me know!

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Rich, this may be a really silly thing to point out... but you do know you'll need a hunting license for ground squirrels?

Many states don't require a license for non-game animals but you need one for hunting anything in California.  A hunter's safety course is necessary prior to getting the first hunting license in California, too.

You probably already know this but I figured just in case....

Guy

lintongb

Reaction score
Rich,
Good to have you aboard.  I live in Hacienda Heights too.  I don't do a lot of squirrel hunting other than the ones in my backyard.  They can be pretty destructive and they multiply like rabbits.  There have been a few posts on the board of squirrels out in the Beaumont area.  I've seen some out at Lake Perris and San Jacinto but I don't knnow if you are able to shoot them out there.  If you can, I think it is a shotgun only area.

Top Bottom