Squirrel hunting

bjw99

Reaction score
Does anybody know why we can't hunt squirrels in southern California?

I emailed the DFG once, but they gave me some noncommital response about how if studies indicated the population was sufficient they could allow squirrel hunting other areas (that was the gist of it anyways.)  

Since, I have no faith that they will expand out hunting opportunities without someone from the outside proding them-- does anyone know any hunting groups that we could use to lobby the DFG to take up this issue?

Do anyelse care about squirrel hunting?

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
The subject comes up every few years, and the tree huggers in Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead always scream and protest, so the matter fades away quietly.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Yep, used to be able to hunt tree squirrels down there many years ago, but the tree huggers and anti-hunters succeeded in stopping it. Later they succeeded in stopping any doe hunts which were recommended in the area.  Those folks around the San Bernardino NF would just love it if no hunting at all was allowed.

mtngoat

Reaction score
Can't hunt greys, but the urban tree squirrel hunting around my house is awsome.

RKBA

Reaction score
Thought this was interesting:  A Banning man was arrested a few years ago, his home was searched, and they found squirrels in his freezer, which he had appearently taken in the nearby mountians.  No charges were filed.  The reason stated was there was no way to prove the squirrles had not been taken up North where they are legal.

Just sort of wonder if there might have been more to it than that.

I certainly would love to see squirrel hunting opened up again in Southern CA.  Squirrel hunting is one of my favorite sports, even if I have not been able to participate for a while.

Marty

Reaction score
Re: the Banning man, Who was conducting the search?  Many people couldn't tell the difference between a ground squirrel and a tree squirrel.

RKBA

Reaction score
Well, hate to say it, but:  This search had to do with the accidental discharge of a firearm.  Someone was injured of worse, don't remember at this late date.  I am sure under these circumstances every law enforecment department, in County, state, and country was in attendnce.

Hear about the Banning Gun shop owner who was recently robbed?  Over 50 officers were involved in at least 3 searches of his home and residence.  More than 6 departments including, city, state, federal, and "the marines".

I do beilieve the proper uauthorities were in attendance.

I am hoping this minor infraction might have been over looked buy Local and game authorities as the area seems to be conservative.  But, certainly that is a streach  on my part.

RKBA

Reaction score
Just to let you know, I sent an email yesterday to DFG to ask about squirrel hunting in Southern CA, complaing, and asking why uninformed city-folk's oppinions should have any bearing on taking care of forests.  Certainly not a quote, but something like that.

But, I did point out many of the reasons I enjoy squirrel hunting.

Fubar

Reaction score
I would like to see the reply if you get one.       Fubar

RKBA

Reaction score
Well, wouldn't you just know it.  Actually sent two emails to DFG.  The one you asked about did not go.  They had the wrong address listed, I guess.

RKBA2

Reaction score
Well, the note I thought did not go through, must have found a back door.  Anyway, here is the reply, with part of my note to them following.

------------------------------------------------------------

You are correct that this issue has been brought up at various times in the past.  I know of no plans for the Department to propose to the Commission a change in squirrel hunting regulations.
------------------------------------------------------------

>>>Part of my note to (DFG):
Why no Tree Squirrel Hunting in Southern CA?
Heard years ago, they were diseased.  Now, I understand the anti's managed to have it stopped, and every once in a while the question is brought up again,  and dismissed.
>>>

Latest Posts

Top Bottom