squirrels

andrew

Reaction score
Ok, I have a squirrel hunt sceduled for tommorow and need a few questions answered:

First, how do I cook em'?
Next, are they safe to eat(seriously)
Should I wear gloves when cleaning?
It will be snowing so do I just gut em', skin em', and stuff em' in the snow in a zip-Lock?

Fubar

Reaction score
andrew  Skin em right away. The longer you wait the harder they are to skin. If you have gloves, why not wear them. They are safe to eat as long as you cook them thoroughly. Dont overcook however. This is the same with all meats.
after you clean them put them in a zip lock if you have one to keep them clean. Put them on ice.

I fry mine. I cut them into pieces and fry just like chicken. You can make some good gravy.
Good Luck                   Fubar

STR8SHTR

Reaction score
Fubar-What about the glands on the Squirrels?  I have only cleaned a couple, but I have been told they can ruin the meat.

Fubar

Reaction score
STR8SHTR  Never heard of that one. Anybody know? The only glands I ever eat are the ones that have been ground into my hot dogs along with lips and who knows what else.                Fubar

andrew

Reaction score
Couldnt tell you about the glands, we got skunked.

Swiss Lad

Reaction score
Hopefully we are talking tree squirrel.  I realize they have glands but once skinned and gutted that should be a moot point.  Age, what they ate, how bad they were shot up, and improper handling should be the only factors.  Old tough ones require the crock pot or an abalone iron.  

yotegetter

Reaction score
Be careful with them fleas on them. I've shot a couple that are just infested with fleas in the dead of winter!

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Here's a recipe I found . . .

I like squirrel better than rabbit.  Here is how I cook them.  Clean, soak for 24 hours, quarter the squirrel and put in an electric crock pot.  Cover with slightly deluded BBQ sauce, and cook on high for 1 hour, then slow for 4 hours.  You will be able to cut the meat with a fork!

Reaction score
Does anybody know of a good place to hunt squirrels in the Laguna mountian area of San Diego? Or the surrounding area?

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
I figured you probably knew tree squirrels couldn't be hunted down there.

I sure wish I knew of someplace good down there for ground squirrels but I'm 'fraid I don't.

Good luck,  Guy

MG34

Reaction score
We use to go down Sheephead Mtn truck trail from Kitchen Creek Rd. about 3 miles in. There was a big meadow with oak and pine trees that we would camp in. The area around was invested with squirrels rattlesnakes and coyotes. We camped in there for 8 summers.The USFS put a locked gate. That was 20 years ago. But we took a lot squirrls out of there.

rlwright

Reaction score
MG34, welcome to the forum. This is by far the best place on the net to talk about the outdoors, especially hunting and fishing. I've learned more here in the last few months then I have in the previous 18 years of my outdoor career. Theres lots of good knoledgeable guys and gals on this board to chat with.

What state are you in?

Reaction score
MG34, I live right around the corner from you in Santee. I went to the place you suggested and found a few squirrels, but it was too cold yet as there was still snow on the ground. Will go back out in another couple weeks when it is warmer, thanks for the advice...Richard.

MG34

Reaction score
Richard,  Another area that I like to shoot squirrels is McCains Vly. I was out there last thursday I didn't have to much time to hunt, saw 3 poped 1. Its also a nice place to camp .

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
I’m just over the hill from you guys in El Cajon. It’s good to see more guys from the San Diego area on the board. I was out in the Macain Valley area last year saw some ground squirrels but ended up leaving because of the A-Hole ranger that was out there that day. I’ll have to check the other area out sometime. I tried to get into the Fred Canyon area on the Saturday of the last weekend of Fox season and the gate was still closed from Kitchen Creek Rd. I have been told that before it burned that Love valley also had some ground squirrels in it also some OK dove hunting at times.  If you see a silver gray ford ranger 4X4 with a JHP sticker on the back window that’s me. WBH
Welcome both of you hope to see you at one of the hunts someday

(Edited by wildbirdhunter at 9:17 am on Mar. 29, 2002)

Reaction score
What do you guys use to shoot squirrels with? I have a t/c contender with a .22 match barrel, and a 3x9 bushnell scope that I carry around in my backpack. I am also working on fixing up my ruger 10/22, I just put on a .920 match grade barrel,  a power custom trigger group, and other small parts. I am amazed at how accurate these guns can be!...Richard.

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
I have two hot rod 10/22s, one hot rod 10/22 mag, a CZ 22lr and a NEF 223 that I use for small game hunting. I’m working on another 22 rifle for a truck gun for when I’m fishing out in the Imperial County.

WBH

Latest Posts

Top Bottom