stabilizers, need them or not?

Schoettgen

Reaction score
I thought I would ask the question since I have used one for the last 12 or 13 years I have bowhunted. After spending a little time this summer without, I think that is how I am going to hunt. I can't tell much differance in accuracy, at least not enough to make a differance hunting. The bow is nicer to pack around and easier to carry. Most of my bowhunting involves a lot of walking so that is a big plus, and it does not fit in my scaboard on my horse with the stabilizer on or folded. Opinions???

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
Im no expert on this at all, but I am thinking that it must depend on the balance of the bow. I shoot a reflex whitetail hunter and have for the last 6 years. I have not used a stabelizer on this bow. I put one on it one time during target practice, and I didnt notice any differance. When I grip the bow without a stabelizer, my bow is balanced, while the bow rests on the top of my hand with my fingers released. I have held other bows without a stabelizer and they fell back toward me, (unbalanced). Thats my two cents.

nickroy77

Reaction score
I thought a stabilizer helped to quiet the bow down as well as help to improve accuracy? Maybe not by much but I think it helps in that way.

jjhack

Reaction score
Most of the hype involving vibration in your bow is for your personal feeling. It might reduce what you feel in your hand but really it has nothing to do with accuracy. The arrow has long since departed and probably hit the target by the time you feel any vibration.

I have shot with and without a stabilizer and just don't see the need anymore. JUst more crap to attatch to your already cluttered up bow. I even took off the peep sight and went to the no peep to reduce the tubing and string peep clutter.

I see some guys with so many "fluff" options and accesories it's funny to me. Stabilizers are fine at the range but a pain in the butt while hunting, unless your always in a tree. On foot they are an un-needed additional accessory IMO.

COUESNAM

Reaction score
A stabilizer may help you mentally but based on experience I don't think they do much. I shoot exactly the same w/ or w/out one.

Schoettgen

Reaction score
I am glad to see that I am not alone. When I first got a compound I had all the junk to go with it, I did'nt know any better. The shop was happy to sell me all the got to have items. That has been a while now, most of the fluff is gone. I am also going on quite a few seasons with the same bow. Its a 1990 hoyt Pro Force fast flight, it may be obsolete by current standards but I have not missed filling a deer tag with it since about 92. I have always hated stabilizers, I only wish I had junked it sooner. jjhack, I hate tubing also, it was the loudest thing on my bow. Easiest way I found to silence things was to just shoot a good sized aluminum arrow. The weight really deadens the sound and they seem to be very forgiving to shoot.

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
I think it comes down to personal choice....I shoot with one, but not much of one, because I don't like the extra weight...It's graphite with graphite powder inside. Lite, but helps take some of the shock/vibration out of the shot!!!

shadow

Reaction score
I am no pro and still learning everyday but I guess it would depend on the bow. If the bow stays balanced without a tight grip on it that maybe not but if not then yes. If the bow has built in vibration dampners or is otherwise a tight bow then maybe not provided the balance is still ok. I have seen many types of stabilizers, solid, sand filled, graphite filled, rubber etc...

In a nut shell I would say this.

Tight bow no vibrations and balanced = nothing

tight bow no vibrations and unbalanced = solid or sand/graphite filled for balancing only

loose bow with vibrations and balanced = depends on where the vibrations are coming from, most of the time string leaches or limb savers will do, mayber mini limb savers on the grip/sight area.

loose bow with vibrations and unbalaced = Sand/Graphite filled or rubber

Again I'm no pro but this is just my opinion....

Latest Posts

Top Bottom