Stag in Scotland

.300Savage

Reaction score
So my wife and I will be in Scotland next sept and I got permission to hunt while we are there. Im looking for any first hand experiance with an outfitter/lodge there. I've done some googling and it seems like there is really 1 main outfitter that keeps coming up but, I thought I would go with experiance over adverts.

DLS

Reaction score
Wow, this brings back some very good memories for me, as I hunted free ranging highlands red stags back in the 1980s. We hunted with Major Neil Ramsay, out of his country estate in Aberfeldy. Major Ramsay passed away last year at the age of 81. We were part of a group of 6 couples (yes, everyone's wife came along!) led by Gene and Marsha Hill. For those who remember him, Gene Hill was one of the finest sporting authors of our time, and he and Mrs. Hill truly made our trip memorable.

It was a grand week of deer stalking, and my cousin and I each managed to shoot 4 stags in 4 days of stalking. Some of the estates we hunted included Airlie (highly recommended!) and Pitmain (great stalking way up north near Inverness, I loved this place). We also hunted near Gleneagles, but I didn't care for that estate nearly as much. Airlie, which borders Balmoral, is a large and wonderful piece of property in the central highlands.

You can also hunt 'farm' stags, which are high fence estates and you'll shoot a bigger stag with larger antlers, but the essence of Scottish stag hunting is the free ranging animals that ecke out a tough living on the heather covered mountains. The size of the antlers doesn't matter nearly as much as the sport involved in stalking close for your shot. None of the Game Keepers are impressed by your long range shooting ability nearly as much as your stalking ability. It is ALL about the experience, which you'll never forget. Our days were spent with gamekeepers attired in scottish tweeds, and our night were spent having grand black tie dinners, followed by sampling single malts from Major Ramsay's extensive collection. The accomodations, meals, side trips, and visiting historic estates with great free range stalking made this a trip I'll never forget.

You may wish to start your research by visiting this website: Deer Stalking Scotland, Hunting Scotland, Red and Roe DeerIt gives you information on Red Deer, and also Roe Deer stalking and hunting opportunities across Scotland.

You're in for a wonderful time!

DLS

Reaction score
This company seems to be more slanted toward Roe Deer, which are a wonderful quarry in their own right. Deer Stalking - Hunting and Shooting Holidays in Scotland

I also have a friend who hunted with Mike McCrave, and found him to be a wonderful host. Mike is quite a character. Mike McCrave Hunting Ltd Tel / Fax 011-44-1573 470 771

Here is another resource http://www.georgegoldsmith.com/properties/balavil This is the one that I believe you use to access Pitmain, which is in Kingussie, Inverness-shire.

Here is another page that lists quite a few other estates, including Airlie. Sporting Estates - George Goldsmith

If I were you, I'd seriously consider Perthshire and Inverness-shire as two desination regions. While you're at it, take some time to visit some of the castles with your wife, they are fabulous. We spent some time doing this, visiting Blair Castle and Pitlochry. Welcome to Pitlochry

This should give you enough to get started. Let me know if you need any more assistance.

.300Savage

Reaction score
Thanks DLS, I appreciate all the info. I'll start looking over everything you gave me and concentrate on those key areas for free range stags. As I started my hunting carrear with blacktail here in some rough country I think it would only be appropriate to stalk my ancestral quarry similarly abroad.

Again thanks for the info and I hope to have some storys and pictures that will make memories for me and bring back some for you.

Were you able to bring any meat back with you?

DLS

Reaction score
No, you generally can't bring any meat home. Each estate actually sells the meat to the European markets, as game meat is widely available in season, especially in Germany I'm told. However, you can find venison on many menus across Scotland. I would not want to bother with transporting meat from Scotland anyway. You're going on a grand vacation and will have a fantastic time, enjoy it to the fullest, both the stalking and time with your wife. You can get meat back here at home.

Do you golf? They have some incredible courses over there. Not just St. Andrews, but many spectacular links courses.

.300Savage

Reaction score
Not much of a golfer I've played and I have fun but, it's not something I'd go out of my way to do. Yeah I read about the meat being sold after I posted, that's too bad as I'm far more a meat hunter than a trophy hunter but, I'm sure I can fill up on it while I'm there. Also I'm sure the transport would be a nightmare.

Top Bottom