Staining slightly bleached elk antlers

ranchwife

Reaction score
We have a huge set of dropped elk horns (7 point with 16 inch bases). They are slightly bleached and we would like to try to return them to their original color. I saw something about dying the horns, but there was no recipe or how to's. We would like to be able to show them at the next local RMEF banquet. Can someone help me with the materials and the directions, or point me to a web site that give the same info?

Thanks!

Predator 1

Reaction score
http://www.taxidermy.net/wasco/cat/12/antler.html

Give this website a try. They sell antler stain for this purpose. A buddy of mine sent me this link but I have not tried any of the products, nor have I tried staining any antlers at all so I really don't have any insight. The link will at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Pred

Wogg

Reaction score
Buddy of mine used old english funiture polish, came out pretty good but I dont know how long it lasted.

NORCALBLACKTAIL

Reaction score
I am actually testing 5 different stains this week on an old shed. Im trying to match a timber buck. Ill let you know what works best.

fossilman

Reaction score
I stained a set of Elk horn's,wish I didn't now....................The stain ruined then,just doesn't look right at all.
I would leave them natural,the way they are...............

bmtothhunter

Reaction score
Knobloch's Antler Stain makes the antlers look too chocolate brown. it looks to fake. i wish i only used only one coat. Remember not to put too much on.

Top Bottom