Stardot And Remington Choke Tubes

Welby

Reaction score
Have any of you used either the Stardot XFull turkey choke or the Remington Extra Full "Devastator" turkey choke?  (I think that is what the Remington choke was called.)

I thought about getting a new choke tube for my 870 and was looking at these two chokes in particular.  I have heard good things about the Stardot choke, but I wanted to hear about it a little more before I made a decision.  Also, I would like to hear about the Remington choke.

Please, if you have used either one of these chokes, I would love to hear from you.

Welby

Reaction score
That Remington choke may actually be called a "Ventilator", though "Devastator" certainly sounds like a good name for a choke, doesn't it?

flahunter

Reaction score
I have the 3.5" 870 and use the Turkey choke the came with the gun and it works great. I used winchester #5 3.5" this weekend and took a bird at 35 yards thourgh some brush and it filled his head full of shot.:shades-smoke:

PowDuck

Reaction score
I've got the StarDot on my 870 and it shoots a great pattern with Winchester 3" 2 oz. #4's. A friend of mine has the Ventilator on his 870. He likes it, too.

I think both are good chokes. If I didn't already have the StarDot, I'd probably put an extra $8 in and buy the Remington.  (Strictly my opinion.)

TScottW99

Reaction score
I have the StarDot for my Mossberg 500 and it shoots great!!!  I don't think I could ask for a bettern pattern.  I tried four differn't chokes out on that gun with a bunch of shells so far and the StarDot is by far the best.  Then you throw in how much it cost $19.99 and you have a winner!  My StarDot hates the Winchester HV rounds for some reason but loves the Federal Premuim 3" #5's. The choke is in .665

Welby

Reaction score
Well, I ended up not purchasing either one of the above chokes.  Instead, I got hold of a Truglo choke made by Mark Bansner.  My boss had one he didn't want anymore, so I tried it out.  (Too bad Walmart doesn't let you try before you buy!)  For some reason it didn't pattern well in his gun and didn't plan on ever using it again.

The Bansner choke patterned remarkably better than my Remington Extra Full Turkey choke and favored #5 shot more than #4.  At 40 steps, the Remington choke placed 89 pellets on the paper with only 7 in the kill zone.  The Bansner choke placed 101 shots on the paper with 18 in the head and neck kill zone.  It must also be noted that when I fired the Bansner shot I pulled slightly and shot a little high.  Had I stayed on target, those numbers would have been much higher as the concentration of the pellets was greatest just above the head.

Saving the best part for last...my boss would not let me pay for the choke and gave it to me instead.  Thanks Boss!

Top Bottom