Starting them young

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
We had some family visitors over the weekend and one of the younger ones has just started his hunter safety program. He would really rather play football but he is doing OK with the hunter safety book. His father knows I have some interesting things to pass down once he has a hunting license. We decided to show him a couple of items he will receive once he passes the test. That peaked his interest some but he was a little afraid of a 20 gauge ultra light. It is a lot bigger than his 22 or his BB gun. This morning they went dove hunting on some private ground and dad got 6 doves. Of course the son cannot shoot at game but once the hunt was over they started target shooting. He shot the 20 gauge after some coaching and realized it wasn't going to hurt him. After a few stationary targets he started shooting hand thrown clay birds. He hit way more than he missed once got the hang of following through on the shot. He now thinks my little 20 gauge is the coolest gun ever and wants a hunting license ASAP. I think he is now motivated. Nothing like a little success to get them going. He is big and strong for his age so a 20 gauge is not a problem. A youth model 7mm 08 is already in the gun safe. You can get reduced recoil loads for the 7mm 08 but I really don't think that will be needed next year when he is allowed to hunt with it provided he passes the test.

P304X4

Reaction score
Sounds like he's got the "hunting fever" good luck!

Planetcat

Reaction score
Excellent introduction for him. My kids started with the 7mm-08 reduced recoil loads, but like this young man, they really didnt care what loads they shot. Given the lead ban coming soon, theres probably no point in using those reduced loads, since they dont come in the lead free variety. Sounds like he is off to a good start with some good mentors.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
A few years back in order to hunt FHL we ordered some custom loaded Barnes bullets in 7mm 08. They seemed a little light on recoil so I checked the muzzle velocity. They are about 150 feet slower than standard factory loads. I was pissed because I bought a few boxes. They shoot really good on paper so that is what we have been doing with them mostly. Well now we are thinking since they shoot really well on paper they might be just right for a young hunter where non toxic ammo is required. It is what my wife shoots paper with just to build confidence in her gun. Sometimes you get lucky and things work out. Now I won't let my wife burn the last 2 boxes on paper.

Top Bottom