Steel Shot Upland

Limited Out

Reaction score
Now that we have shot this stuff for a little over a month, what do you think? I have my own opinion, I would like to see how it lines up with everyone else's

pilgrimbizket

Reaction score
I am coming down for Thanksgiving I will be shooting bismuth. No steel is going through my 28

Limited Out

Reaction score
Smart move, the steel is not to great for a lot of guns. Sidelined a few of my old guns that I like to shoot. A lot of the wads available for reloading are extra thick and tough for barrel protection, also you can use mylar wraps to increase barrel protection. I am still not shooting any steel out of my old classic guns.

Stevehazard

Reaction score
I switched from Federal to Kent with my 20g and the Kent seems to suck a lot less so far. Picked up primers, powders, etc today for the .410 to try loading those myself since they are small and the shelf prices for those suck even for lead. Will probably do some bismuth loads at some point so I can mess around with the old one that has a full choke.

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
Started using on Carrizo two years ago for dove and quail. Had best success with no 6 Bismuth

Yaddio

Reaction score
I've been looking for load data with Bismuth with no luck. Care to share your source on where to get the shot and data?
Thanks.

Limited Out

Reaction score
Not a lot of .410 data available, especially for steel/bismuth. Precision Reloading Inc, BPI (Ballistic Products), Lyman Shot shell Reloading Handbook 5th, Hodgdon online shot shell reloading www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun, and RSI (Reloading Specialies Inc.) . There are 15 .410 steel loads in the back of the BPI "Status of Steel" manual. You want to set the performance benchmark, for your reloads to be better than store bought ammo. The thing to remember is that these companies, that provide shot shell reloading components, are in business to sell you products, so take their spin with a grain of salt. There is money to be saved reloading these sub gauge shells.

Stevehazard

Reaction score
Yeah my daughter just passed her hunter ed last week, got her license, and will take her out tomorrow for her first time. The price of .410 in the store is a joke. I already hand loaded some lead target loads as a test just with tools I just made. Still trying to find something better to use as a second stage crimp starter. It'll take her a bit of shooting to get better with the small bore and I'm not going to buy that much .410 at $12 or $17 a box when reloads will be -$5 on those little shells.

Limited Out

Reaction score
It might be difficult to fab up a final crimp die at home. One of those 100% hand reloading set ups may have a final crimp die that will work.

Reaction score
Seems to work good using Kent faststeel. I’ve found to go with high velocity with steel works best.

Only problem is I’m practicing with lead since it’s much cheaper so I may have take up reloading.

Any recommendations for a press.? I have experience with rifle and pistol but never shotgun...

Limited Out

Reaction score
I have a MEC Size Master which is like the Chevrolet of reloaders, but it works well. One of my hunting buddies has a Spolar which is a work of machining art, at 4 times the price. The MEC is a good starting point.

jackman

Reaction score
Yeah my daughter just passed her hunter ed last week, got her license, and will take her out tomorrow for her first time. The price of .410 in the store is a joke. I already hand loaded some lead target loads as a test just with tools I just made. Still trying to find something better to use as a second stage crimp starter. It'll take her a bit of shooting to get better with the small bore and I'm not going to buy that much .410 at $12 or $17 a box when reloads will be -$5 on those little shells.
Great job ,Kudos to your daughter on her Hunter ed class. On that .410- those pattern erratically. It makes it hard to hit things for a beginner. I found that a youth model 20 gauge works a lot better. Cheaper ammo also and more hunting choices.

Limited Out

Reaction score
These 410s are shooting a 1/2 oz. of steel shot, makes it real tough to hit much. The 20 w/ a Limbsaver Butt Pad is a better choice.

Stevehazard

Reaction score
It's only 3/8 oz of steel in the 3" shells, lol. She's small so the Mossberg Bantham 510's are the only gun's with a short enough length of pull for her to use now. I thought the 20 would kick too much for her on a tiny shotgun like that, particularly when we first got it.

jackman

Reaction score
drill two holes in the stock then cut it off to length. Later you can dowel the stock back together,it will be good as new

Top Bottom