• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Step-by-step camera building tutorial

Haymaker

I finally completed the first of two camera building tutorials I planned on doing. Sorry for the delay here guys. These things take more time than I was expecting.

In any case here is a tutorial on how to make a digital trail camera. This tutorial covers building an Olympus D-360L system with our new "Digital Trail Camera Kit" in a Pelican 1060 case. This example can be used for any camera, but the reason I chose the D-360L is because it's the best system for beginners to start with since no camera modification is needed. This is a "Plug-n-Play" system.

Click here for: Trail Camera Building Tutorial

carraganakid

Thanks for all the info, I just finished my first trail cam and really enjoyed constructing this thing. I destroyed two cases before I got it right but am thrilled with the final result.....works great in the front yard and am hoping to put it out for bears next weekend. I will post some pics (hopefully) in a few weeks.
Just a couple of quick questions ......one of my cameras doesn't work with the cable hooked up to the pix controller, yet works flawlessly on its own, is it possible that it is a camera setting?I have read the owners manual and haven't found anything. If not I guess I have my daughters birthday gift for next weekend!
Also I am looking for a camera that is compatable with the pix controller universal boards that has the lens closer to the middle of the camera than the Olympus d 360l, any suggestions?
Thanks again for all the help, this has been a lot of fun and I am looking forward to making a few more.
Will send some pictures of my setup once I figure out how to post them!

Haymaker

We've added a new tutorial and updated the older tutorial (created a PDF file) on building your own trail camea. Here's the information:

1. DigitalEye™ Digital Trail Camera building tutorial

Download: *NEW* DigitalEye™ Digital Trail Camera Tutorial

Basic Information:
This tutorial covers step-by-step all you need to know on how to make your own DigitalEye™ trail camera. This tutorial uses the Universal Digital Trail Camera Kit, KITU05 with the Pelican 1040 case in Mossy Oak pattern - camera not included in kit.

Camera Building Notes:
This kit is a little more advanced than the above mentioned kit since you will need to modify the digital camera for remote shuttering, but easier to build case wise with our new Universal Board holder/shelf for the Pelican 1040 case. You will need basic shop and assembly skills, and some basic solder skills to complete this project, but you will need more advanced soldering skills and patients to modify the digital camera.

Suggest cameras to use:

1. Sony DSC-S600 - 6.0 Mega Pixel CCD. No assembly cable needed, but we would recommend the 4-wire servo cable.

2. Sony DSC-S40 - 4.0 Mega Pixel CCD. Sony S40 Shutter Assembly Cable needed for this project.

3. Sony DSC-P41 - 4.0 Mega Pixel CCD. Sony P32/P41 Shutter Assembly Cable needed for this project.

4. Sony DSC-SP32 - 3.2 Mega Pixel CCD. Sony P32/P41 Shutter Assembly Cable needed for this project.

================================================

2. Olympus D-360L or D-340R Digital Trail Camera building tutorial

Download: D-360L/D-340R Digital Trail Camera Tutorial

Camera Building Notes:
This tutorial covers step-by-step all you need to know on how to make your own digital trail camera using either the Olympus D-360L or D-340R digital camera "plug-n-play". This tutorial uses the Universal Digital Trail Camera Kit, KITU02 with the RS-232-U PIC chip, and a Pelican 1060 case - case and camera not included in kit.

Camera Building Notes:
This is a perfect kit for the beginner to start with. There is no camera modification needed - simply plug in a cable between the Universal board and the camera. You will need basic shop and assembly skills, and some basic solder skills to complete this project.

Camera Notes/Suggestions:
You can purchase these cameras from eBay since they are no longer made, but we recommend the Olympus D-360L. This camera is a 1.3 Mega Pixel CCD digital camera and has an excellent flash range. The trigger time is about 2 seconds, and battery life in the camera is about 3 weeks.

Fyrestorm

I go to purchase the PixController Digital Trail Camera Kit and it says "website not found"

Are they still selling them?

davis405

Great information!!!!!!! But I'm also interested as to where I can purchase the above mentioned boards for the Sony s600 model. The website states that the product is no longer available. I'm dying to get my hands on a few of these!!!!! Any help locating them would be much appreciated!!! Thanks.................... ALAN

HogWild805

I just wonder if these things are actually cheaper to make if you factor in all the time. However, this is a major on the "Cool list" of gadgets I would love to make. Thanks for the handy thread.

Top Bottom