Stereo Plug & Jack Problems

Go Pens

Reaction score
2.5mm 3 Conductor Submini Stereo Phone Plug Gold Series (RS 274-244) & 2.5mm 3 Conductor Submini Stereo Phone Jack (RS 274-245)
I've wired my PF this way and the cam fires when I short prior to the jack but when I connect and try to short on the "male" plug end the camera goes to sleep or fires once and freezes up. All I want is to make an extension/ quick disconnect but It doesn't work I've tried everything including a mono plug plugging in when off/on/batteries out etc.. The jack fits into the PF with a little "melting down the corners of the jack". Please help it's driving me crazy.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi GP,
Are you absolutely *positive* you've got the jumper in the male half wired right??

Try plugging the jumpered male plug in with the camera power off - does that work??

Sometimes cheap audio jacks don't line up properly - the tip/ring/shell of the male plug might be contacting more than one  wiper inside the jack.  I've not used these RS part #'s, so I don't know how well made they are, but on some cheapies that I purchased from Mouser Electronics the contacts didn't line up right (sent 'em back)

Good Luck!,
Archilochus

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi again,
Oopps, didn't load your pic.

Yeah, it would be hard to mix up the plug wiring.

So... Are you sure you have the *jack* wired right??

When you melted the corners of the jack something might have gotten out of alignment.

A.

big tom

Reaction score
Use a mono jack, no need for a stereo because with the stereo plug you are not shorting pins 5 and 6. I would also test it first (as Jesse's instructions state) by touchin the three wires together before wiring up the plug. I would also put the common on a different connector.

Go Pens

Reaction score
I Finally figured it out the wiring in the diagram was correct but the very first solder I ever attempted which was #4 common on the PCB wasn't secure enough.  It was connected good enough to fire the camera prior to the jack and plug but when the connection was made there evidently wasn't enough current.  I accidently pulled the Common wire from the PCB resoldered and It works fine now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Possum

Reaction score
Does the jack mount inside the camera or does it mount outside the housing?  I am fixing to do this to two Pf's and I kind of wanted to do it like what is shown on Jesse's page for PF conversion.  The little silver jack is the one I was looking at.

Go Pens

Reaction score
Possum, The jack installs internally just to the left of the view finder as shown by Jesse. the plastic housing must be melted down and rounded slightly w/ the soldering iron w/ the common terminal up and I'd strongly recommend sliding thin shrink wrap insulating tubing or electric tape around the jack connections to prevent contact to any capacitors within the camera when you put the camera shroud back on.  It's a tight fit but it will work using the same exact parts as shown in the picture.  

troll

Reaction score
Possum,

I just mounted the jack the same way in my camera.  I ground a little bit of the camera cover on the inside to get the nut to screw down completely.  Don't do too much, though.  I also ground down some of the sides of the plastic on the jacks so that it would fit a little nicer.  Definitely put electrical tape in the camera to keep it from hitting the capacitor.  Good luck.

Top Bottom