Stolen or destroyed trail cams

woodswalker

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with their trail cam being stolen or destroyed?  Care to share the details?

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I have had four over the last six years stolen or destroyed.  Two of which were taken before I started locking them to a tree.  The others were just destroyed once they figured out they could not break the cable.

Brian

Tinhorn

Reaction score
This has been one of my major fears, especially since most of my cams are on Public Ground.  

Just last weekend I ask the girl at Wal-Mart if she would notice a pix of a sign on a roll of film that would say something like "if the person who brought this in is not "XXXXX" then this cam is stolen, please call me at "xxxxxx".  She said she probably would notice it.  (This Idea is on Jesse's site somewhere BTW)

She also said somebody was just in and said his cam was stolen, he left a pix of himself because his pix was on the cam just stolen....

I had a conservation official find one of my cams, he mentioned it to a fellow worker who knew I had some out.......he never touched it and I'm sure glad he was an honest guy

Tinhorn

jayber

Reaction score
A buddy just reported to me today that one of the cameras that was built for him was slightly damaged, possibly by a buck (?).  There were a few gouges near the PIR lense hole, the lense was loose, and the rubber cap was torn off.  The camera has 5 pics on it so it will be interesting to see what it caught.

As far as theft or damage cause by other people, I have none to report......and I hope I never do! <crossing fingers>

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Haven't had one bothered yet.

But something did tear/chew off one of the rubber switch covers under the camera. Didn't find it anywhere close by and didn't have any up close pics of what did it.

cgchris99

Reaction score
I am in the process of build them.  But here is what I plan to do.  There will be a note inside the camera.
It will state something like this.

Since you have found my camera,  please do not steal it.  If have already stolen it.  Please return it to the tree.  BECAUSE, I already have your picture on one of the many other cameras that are out in the woods.  Your picture will be given to the authorities and you will be prosecuted.  Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

wvhunter

Reaction score
I haven't had a cam bothered by people but bears have chewed the sensor out it twice.

gizz

Reaction score
Just had my first bear attack. He/She put a hole in the sensor, and gnawed on the PVC box but other than that the cam was intact. It was hanging on one side to the bungie cord. I set it back up, brushed it off and even with the the hole in the fresnal lense the cam was still a workin!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
cgchris99

I like your NOTE Idea, it def can't hurt anything and may help.  

I remember about 2 or 3 months ago someone's 2nd camera took the "Enemy's" pix and I believe he said the culpret got convicted, wish we had a newspaper article of this event to include in the cam enclosure for more "Ammunition" in case someone did take it.......

Tinhorn

davered1

Reaction score
I had my best feeder stole last year offf private prop.

I built my first cam to take pics of deer,My second is going to take a pic of the person who steals my next feeder......

davered1

Richard Webb

Reaction score
People are basically honest, but I guess it still depends on the neighborhood? Out here in Northern California the weekend hikers are usually high tech or yuppie types, and are not interested vandalizing. However, I do put a little sign on my cams, "Study in Process" that kind of officiates the gaget for them.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom