Stop Thief!

kodger

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm needing some advise on purchasing a trail camera for my police dept. We are looking for the best camera to use in areas where all night surveillance is not feasible or possible. I really do not know much about the cameras that are available, but am sure that some of the features we would need are: digital camera, no flash, low light capability, able to be easily hidden.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome kodger,

I get asked this a lot and the commercial IR game cams are about you're only choice. The Leaf River, Cuddeback, Recon etc. The only drawbacks are the IR illumination works only out to 15-20 feet on most of them. That and if the bad guys look right at the cam they'll see the faint red glow of the IR illuminators.

If you can hide the cam real good and can get it pretty close to where the bad guys will be the commercial IR cams will work.

The homebrew IR cam guys here can post what they think will work for you too.

GPo

Reaction score
Some suggestions,
Bird house cam,
Mail box cam,
Garbage can cam.
And like Jesse said, IR modified for sure. possible IR booster flash.

GPo

iowabucks

Reaction score
If you want any kind of IR flash range, you will want a slave flash to go along with it.

lugnut

Reaction score
if you can get someone to build you one; you may be able to get away with the sony s600 with an IR mod. the flash on this camera is very good. i've seen some great sucess with these cameras in a IR setup.

like jesse said, it really depends on how far you want to view the subject.

there is also another alternative here. they now have trail cameras made with cell phones. once it takes a picture it sends the picture to an email account. with this unit; even if they see it flash it's too late, you would already have there picture waiting for you in your email inbox. i haven't seen one of these units modified for ir yet.

i hope this helps you a little and good luck with your pursuit of criminals

Top Bottom