Store bought cams?

AR Hunter

Reaction score
does anyone have any experience with this cam?  I have seen it in Cabelas  http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...arentType=index and it is going for only $130.  I know the kit sold on this site is $140 plus labor, so how does the Moultrie compare?  This will be a first time cam so any input will be valued.  Thanks.

(Edited by AR Hunter at 7:03 pm on June 27, 2002)

(Edited by AR Hunter at 7:03 pm on June 27, 2002)

(Edited by AR Hunter at 7:05 pm on June 27, 2002)

davered1

Reaction score
A couple of guys on here had one, I think they said the camera(actual) was pretty cheap.

If you do a search (top of page) it will probably come up a time or 2

AR Hunter

Reaction score
thanks davered, i did a search and came up with some info.  nothing too favorable.  how much are folks selling the homemade cams with the good cameras for?  is anyone from this site doing it that is reputable around here?  again, I have seen the kit, but I don't have the ability to do any soldering.  thanks.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Welcome AR Hunter,

Its good to have another arky.  The Missouri boys are getting a little thick and youll help even it out some.    You might surprise yourself with the Iron.  Buy one now if you want and stick around,  you'll be building them soon enough.  What part of AR are you from.  I'm just out of fort smith.  A Lot of folks might have one they would part with.  Everyone is trying to go digital now which might be good for you.    Try to decide about what kind of options you want, basic set-up, PIC controler, etc.   Email me if you want, I'll sell you one.  You cab trust Davered1 too.  He sells on E-bay as Scoutpro  

Go into Profile and add your Email address.  You'll be surprised how many offers you'll get.  .  Selling hasn't  been real popular around here recently so "some" might be afraid to answer your post.

My advise is still to build one though.  Its easier than you think

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry to have not welcomed you earlier. Welcome to the board. This is a great place. I'd be willin to sell one too, but I'm short on cases right now. I'm from Fayetteville. I agree with AEH, building them is a blast. If you don't want to though, there are some real craftsmen here. Again, welcome.

Gus

Reaction score
My first game camera was made by Moultrie (Game Cam).  Not the one you are talking about, but mine takes excellent pictures and if anything ever goes wrong with it all you have to do is send it back to them and they will replace it.  Mine cost a little more than what you posted but I have had no regrets in buying it and have not had one single problem with mine.

LW

Reaction score
Welcome AR_Hunter  I am from Ashley county S.E corner of Arkansas, I have a TrailTimer PH3500 I am willing to sell. It has a Samsung 22s cam in it, Flash is little more than 15 feet though, ok for setting up on feeders etc .  Click on my url below to see a sample of the 400 pics or so I have taken with it. It is less than a year old. I will replace it with the cam kit ****** is stocking I want all my units to use the same cams now. It is very reliable, I have less than 5% false triggers even in the summer heat last year. email - woodsfam@ipa.net - if interested.  

AR Hunter

Reaction score
thanks for the help guys.  LW and ArkElk, check your email.  Hate to dissapoint you guys, but I am a Texan.  City boy from Dallas.  Just getting into hunting.  Have an Uncle and a couple cousins from Texarkana area and they have always hunted up in the Camden area.  They got me started three years ago, going on Thanksgiving and such.  Now that I am out of college and in the working world, I have a little money and free time.  So I joined the lease this year and got my truck last week and am just now getting started with the other gear such as cams...  Thanks for all the tips and making one is not out of the question, but I am going to the lease on July 20 and would like a cam to take along and do some scouting before I go to mark stand and clear shooting lanes in early August.  Anyone have experience in that area?

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
I have taken some nice bucks from Chidister and in the Poison Springs forest.  Thats about 10 miles north of Camden.  The public land is getting scarce down there.  15 yrs ago there wasn't a lot of leasing,  now you can hardly get out of your truck,  too far for me to lease.  Lots of deer there if you don't mind the dogs of war.  No Offence to the Doggers,  I like Running dogs, just not where I'm trying to bow hunt.  You should do well.  I had lots of luck hunting the edges of the Thickets at dusk and dawn.  Take your boots, gets a little wet sometimes.  Another trick is waders in the swamps to get to the high ground nobody hunts.

Don't worry about that free time and money.  It won't last long for sure.  

AR Hunter

Reaction score
our lease is across the road from Poision Springs Park!  We border some of that public land, so we always seem to be running someone off the wrong side of the road!  My cousin took a big ten point last year, but we don't practice enough QDM on our lease to get anything real big.  we are working to change that, but the older hunters whose kids are starting to take anything with horns!

Top Bottom