Strange glitch with Owl PF

glen71

Reaction score
In case it happens to someone else, I want to describe a glitch I encountered with my homebrew cam.
I have an Owl PF, RS PIR, and Kevin's 2-stage timer. The assembly had been bench tested outside of the enclosure and worked fine. Then I installed everything in the enclosure. I powered it up and let the PIR warm up, then walked in front of the PIR. When the PIR triggered, the camera flashed 10 times (at reduced, "red-eye" brightness) at a rate of about a flash per second. Then the camera flashed at full brightness and stopped. When the timer timed out, I triggered the PIR. Same result. The third time, I took the camera out of the enclosure. When I triggered the PIR, the exposure counter jumped to "10" with the first flash, and counted down with each flash until the counter read "1". Then it flashed at full brightness. Weird, huh.
As advised on this site, I turned off the camera and removed the batteries for a few seconds, then reinstalled the batteries. It worked fine. Must have been the full moon and Halloween!

(Edited by glen71 at 1:54 pm on Nov. 1, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
well, I never heard of that one.  Glad the "Re-Boot" fixed it.  Thanx for keeping us advised.....

Tinhorn

Welby

Reaction score
Sounds like you may have accidentally either set the Self Timer mode before triggering the cam, or you may have actually and accidentally soldered the self timer into your relay wires going to the timer.  If it happens again, I would check the wiring on the camera.

(Edited by Welby at 3:15 pm on Nov. 1, 2001)

coyote

Reaction score
sounds like a Selftimer infection to me.  resolder the connections.

glen71

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I will continue to test to see if it re-occurs. Geez, I hope I don't have to open up that camera again.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom