Strategies for fire burned areas

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
What's your strategies for hunting burned areas for Blackies?

I normally stay away from those parts that have been burned.
But this year one of my spots has a burned area within eyesight.

Any help would be great!

MJB

BDB

Reaction score
I area I hunted in MNF for years held deer for quite a few years after a fire. Ever year I would show up on the Friday before bow season and ask the wardens where they were seeing recent activity. For 4 straight years their answer was "the deer are hangning out down in burn area". The cover grew up thick and lots of young stuff to eat. My main whitetail hunting back home was always in or on the fringe of clear cuts that were growing up with tender young foliage. Just like in a food plot, the deer would stage up back in the thicker forest until near dark if the clear cut didn't offer much cover but did offer food.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I went back to "Kokopelli Valley" while it was still smoking a couple years ago. Total lunar landscape.

I hunted the morning, then hiked out to the truck and drove down to the creek for a swim when the heat got to me. When I got back, there was a fresh gut pile 100 yards from where I'd been parked.

Before the fire, there had been a really thick area of chapparal along a low ridge. The place was full of deer trails, as they'd use those lanes to sneak along between feeding, bed, and water. After the fire, there was nothing but a few skeleton sticks. That evening, I watched six deer walk along one of those old trails as if they still had cover. They probably covered 3/4 of a mile in the open.

Point being... a fresh burn can offer some awesome hunting. It gets better when the new growth starts returning too. Watch the edges for the big boys, but the ladies and youngsters will walk right out in the open for ya.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Back home, in Georgia, the farms we hunted usually burned an area yearly. After the smoldering was mostly done, the deer would be in there checking it out almost immediately, and once the new growth came through the ash they were all over it. I have a pic somewhere of a doe I shot that looked half black, I guess she had justleft a bed in the ash and came down the wrong trail.

If there is a decent rain after the fire has been out a week or two, I would bet that the green stuff is only a week after that, and then they will definately be in it. Also a few years after a big fire is, from what I have gotten from multiple wildlife biologists out here, the best time to hunt deer, the deer are in it for the feed, and the brush isn't so thick that you can actually glass much easier than before the fire.

Fires are great for the eco system, and great for the hunting.

good luck

Orygun

Reaction score
I hunted FHL the week after the had a fire in unit 12?. Saw as many deer as I did on any other trip. Lots of tracks. Chapparral and poison oak will put out fresh shoots literally within days after a fire if their roots weren't burned. A month or so after a rain is an excellent time to go.

I'd look for any patches of brush left over within the burn.

joe90605

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Speckmisser @ Aug 3 2006, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Point being... a fresh burn can offer some awesome hunting.[/b]
Looks like there's some fires burning up by Happy Camp...gonna scout those burns next month!

ducslayer

Reaction score
We had a controled burn that got out of control many years ago on our lease in Napa co ,my friend and I went up thursday eve and it was still smokin with glowing spots.We left for MNF and retuned Sat eve to find 5 bucks hanging in camp, the guys said the deer came right back into the burn,I wont make that mistake again.Now I hunt right in burned areas (when I can find them) they do come right back in!

NCahuntinfool

Reaction score
from what I have always been told. The deer like to roll around in the ash to get rid of the tics.

California Hunter

Reaction score
Hunt it, Hunt it, and then hunt it some more. And the hunting will only get better and better every year up to about year 20 or 25 depending on how complete (% of bruch burned) was.

crittergetter

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
better every year up to about year 20 or 25[/b]
Seems like an awful long time. I was told by a biologist that by year 3-5 the brush is matured and tough with different nutrient content than when newer. Doesn't mean they were correct. I'm curious where you got your info?

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I agree, 20-25 years and depending on the area, that will be way overgrown. Of course if the birds are flying over that area a lot, and dropping berry seeds, berry bears for all.

3-5 is about right in my limited experience.

blazintowers

Reaction score
Out here in D11 where the fires burned 3-5 years ago the brush is already waist high!

Top Bottom