STRING/CABLE replacement

toothwrecker

Reaction score
Last year abotu this time I had a new Zebra string and cable installed on my bow Math FX. Now it neads another cable/string. How often do you guys replace? I asked last pro shop last year how long it should last and they said 2 years. A year later now and I'm having to replace again. I get wear points were the cam breaks, anyoen else have these problems? Or are they just normal for a years time? I remember older non single cam bows lasting much longer

in2blacktail

Reaction score
Ever since I sold my17ft. Boston Whaler clone I shoot alot. Archery is my only real hobby left.
I replace my top of the line strings annually, every year like clock-work around December. Plenty of time to strecth the new strings before competing and next years hunting seasons..

I shoot 2-4 times a week normally. Everything from 1/2 to 2 hours per session. From 3-ds to field rounds, Vegas rounds to broadheads.
I think if you shoot alot expect an annual change.
Its worth it for piece of mind. Small price to pay for failure avoidence.

Good luck and shoot straight..

in2blacktail

Reaction score
It seems to me your local pro-shop might be able to tune that cam break so it doesn't touch that part of the string.. That happened to me on one of my PSE's and the local proshop just adjusted the cam washers so the cam wasn't interfering with the string. The cam washers can be changed around, different sizes, for minor adjustments. Hope this helps..

I missed that point on my first read through.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I started using winners choice strings to get away from some of those problems, on my Legacy I bought the new string and cable about three months after I got the bow, with my Outback I just got a new string and cable before I took it home, I have tried to reserve a zebra string, but that is outof my expertise, so I pay a bit more and get the winners choice, they serve much more of the string to make sure that there is serving over anywhere there is contact with any part of the bow.

This is what has worked for me

in2blacktail

Reaction score
I use Winner's Choice as well. Great string, great owners etc. Last long time, super low stretch.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
they serve much more of the string to make sure that there is serving over anywhere there is contact with any part of the bow.[/b]
Nice to know, but the proper fix regardless of how superior the string is, should be the cam adjustment to remove the contact thats producing the pre-mature wear..

Fred Bear

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my Legacy where the cam makes a real sharp turn. This is typical on a Mathews. I replaced the zebra twist with a winners choice and have shot thousands of arrows and the serving has yet to come apart at that spot or any other. Winners choice has a 1 year warrenty so I would say it will last at least that long. Good luck getting that out of a zebra twist if you shoot allot like I do.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom