Stud Service

Dallas

Reaction score
Just wondering what most people get when they Stud out there dog? Some poeple tell me they get the pick of the litter and/or cash on top of that.Any idea how much some people charge?

shadow

Reaction score
alot of it depends on the quality of the male and the blood line. I know people that get 1500 for some with champion AKC lines. I know one that gets 400 for good hunting lines. The lowest I have seen is 200 or pick of the litter.

Here's a link to one

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
It's all negoitable, between the owner of the dam and owner of the sire. The owner of the sire of my litter of vizslas can't take a pup, so, he'll get the value of a pup as the first pup is sold.
The deal is totally up to the parties involved.

Mt Goat

Reaction score
Stud service ranges on the dog, but the norm is, money equal to the price of a puppy or the first pick pup. I've never heard of a pick plus money, but I'm sure it happen's. Normally if the bitch only has one pup its not considered a breeding and theres no fee. Some people will charge up front but will give the option of 1 or 2 repeat breeding trys if the first breeding doesnt take or theres only 1 pup.

Larry

Dallas

Reaction score
I got to talking with my buddy and he said that he talked to a couple of guys and that this one guy rate is 500 bucks up front and the pick of the litter if she has 5 or less pups, but if she has more then 5 pups that he get another pup or the money of one pup. Sounds like that guy get quite a bit, but his dog is a champion chocolate lab. Thanks for the feed back guys!

Reaction score
Here is an expample from someone that studs his dog out alot:-

Stud and Puppy Information:
For Breeding to Rip
APPROVED FEMALES: Only females with AKC or CKC registration, OFA approved hips (good or excellent), and eyes approved by a board certified veterinary ophthalmologist will be bred. A current, negative brucellosis test is required.

BREEDING ARRANGEMENTS: It is advisable to check with your DVM for optimal times to breed your female if you have not bred her before. We encourage female owners to contact their vet and conduct blood tests to determine more accurately when your female is expected to ovulate. With natural breeding, there will be a minimum of one and maximum of three breedings.

PAYMENT: (Natural Breeding): The fee for breeding to our chocolate Labrador retriever stud Rip is $600.00. Upon successful breeding, $100 of the stud fee to be paid to stud owner up front (non refundable). Upon successful whelping of puppies, the balance of the stud fee is due as follows: (1) if less than 5 puppies are whelped, Stud owner agrees to adjust the stud fee to $100 for each puppy whelped; (2) if 5 or more puppies are whelped, the remaining $500 is due to Stud owner. If no puppies are born during the first attempt, the stud owner will offer a second breeding at no initial cost; if puppies are whelped during the second attempt, the above conditions apply for the fee balance due to Stud owner.

LITTER REGISTRATION: The balance of the Stud fee should be sent to the Stud owner between the time the pups are whelped and four weeks of age along with the completed AKC Litter Registration, AKC Litter Registration fee, and self-addressed (to AKC) stamped envelope. If you don't have a litter registration, you can get one from the AKC web site. Upon receipt of the above, stud owner will sign the AKC registration form and forward to AKC.

AIRPORTS: Females should be shipped to either Eugene or Portland, Oregon. However, given recent increases in both prices and restrictions for flying animals, it is recommended that you at least consider using fresh or frozen semen or driving for a natural breeding.

LOCAL COSTS: If the female is shipped, there is a mileage fee ($0.34/mi.) for pickup and return to Portland airport and a daily cost for boarding (first 5 days free) in addition to the stud fee. There are no local fees if owner brings female and cares for her. Please call or e-mail for specifics, as they will vary with each individual's situation.

FRESH SEMEN: Fresh semen can be drawn and shipped upon request. A veterinarian MUST draw semen from the stud and sign AKC forms for an artificial insemination. Female's owner will incur all costs for drawing semen and vet fees (about $110) and shipping of fresh semen APPROVED FEMALES: Only females with AKC or CKC registration , OFA approved hips (good or excellent), and eyes approved by a board certified veterinary ophthalmologist will be bred. A current, negative brucellosis test is required.

MexHunter

Reaction score
SierraExplorer has outlined the most common method used by reputable owners of field bred retrievers. Shadow is correct on the pricing with the exception that the top end is much higher. I know one of one stud the owner charges $3,500 for frozen sperm. I have a friend with a MH/GMHR black lab that gets $600 if there are at least 4 pups.

Russ

Top Bottom