• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Sturgeon Fishing 2/19 & 2/20

jerryt

Spent Saturday and part of Sunday chasing Sturgeon. Brought home three legals and the first Sturgeon ever for my cousin and also his girl friend. We caught 2 legals on Saturday and another Sunday morning. Sent them home with an ice chest full of meat for the freezer. Had another friend out in his boat this weekend as well who also landed three keepers. Day 2.jpgJon Sturgeon.jpgFighting The Fish.jpgAlaina Sturgeon.jpgDay 1.jpg

jerryt

How are they for table fare, and how do you cook them?
To me they are one of the best fish around. There meat is white, flaky and does not have a fishy taste. A couple of my favorites are cut into 1" cubes and deep fried in a beer batter, smoked and cooked on the grill.

smithstation

What area were you fishing? I try and go out of Rio Vista a few times a year but my little boat cant take much wind. I try and fish the channel when I go but have only been once this year. Caught an undersize and lots of diaper stripers. Great pics and awesome going. My cousin and I are in need of a dino fix!! :)

jerryt

These were caught in the Chain and Chip Island Area. That would be about 10 miles down river from Rio Vista.

smithstation

Right on, I like the chain area, lots of big flats and thats where I have had my best luck. Its big water down there so I am very careful when I head that far away from the launch ramp in my little aluminum can. How often do you go out? Maybe one day we will meet up. I usually run the VHF of 68 when i am out there. I go by smithstation. I have attended a few of the fish sniffer events like the sturgeon fest, I even brought half a wild pig for one of the pot lucks, it was a lot of fun but no one ever catches any fish during those events haha. I am thinking of an all nighter after this next cold storm passes and the the grass is not thick enough to walk on, maybe 7-10 days or so from now.

jerryt

Last year I only did one weekend fishing for Sturgeon. Caught a keeper Saturday and another on Sunday. Two can feed the wife and I all year so I didn't fish anymore for the sturgeon. This time I only kept one so I will be going again. However this weekend I will be pig hunting so not sure when I will get out again, but dad will be taking the boat and fishing in my hole this Saturday and Sunday.

smithstation

How did he do this weekend? Did you find any pigs? I was thinking we were in for a big storm so I went to the cabin instead of fishing. I did find some nice toms so it was not a total waist of time. Hope he hooked into a monster and you brought home some bacon.

jerryt

Dad and another guy caught 9 sturgeon from my hole but no keepers. They did catch a couple keeper stripers and a couple flounder as well, so they had a good day. Found the pigs this weekend however they made it across the fence before I could close the distance.

smithstation

Very good, 9 dinos is awesome!! Congrats on a fun day soaking bait. Finding the pigs is a big +, next time you can change your approach and slip in on them. Were you on public or private ground?

smithstation

Good deal. I have a ranch down here in Merced that I hunt, its about 25,000 acres. We kill a few pigs every year. I was going to offer to take you out one of these days but if you have private ground that is great. I feel sorry for people chasing pigs on public ground, I think their success rate is very low. I have been very blessed with this ranch and have been spoiled with pigs. I dont shoot them any more but I do enjoy seeing youngsters shoot them or someone who has not had much success at them. Good luck on your next outting!!

Top Bottom