Suggestions on CA doj compliant lock for shotgun

nostrum

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I’ll be soon getting my first shotgun (Beretta 691, 20 ga) and looking for a lock for the same.
I will eventually get a safe but avoiding it for time being due to space crunch and until then, hoping to get by using a lock (trigger lock, chamber lock, barrel lock - any kind!).
Would really appreciate if you can provide some suggestions/ links?

Also, if I keep it dissembled in gun case and lock the case (same as what I’ll do when transporting), is it considered a compliant way to keep at home? — I assume not, but still thought of double checking!

Worst case, I’ll get a safe but would really prefer alternatives if possible.

Thanks!

Farallon

Reaction score
Every firearm I have purchased in the last ~10 years, has come with a lock.

Some manufacturers provided “locks”, some gun shops provided (at an extra charge) a lock.

It maybe a CA law.

If you are purchasing guns, and wish to be informed, there is the California Rifle and Pistol Association. They are your CA gun advocate. They have a website.

quaildeath

Reaction score
Do your own research but, I understand a disassembled firearm is not a firearm under the law. However, it wouldn’t be available in a home defense situation.

ltdann

Reaction score
It's CA law that firearms come with DOJ compliant locks.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Your home is your castle; ain’t nobody’s business if you have a lock on a shotgun in your home.

nostrum

Reaction score
Just getting started with my first gun and already hating California’s gun laws :-/

Thanks for the lead @Farallon i did reach out to CRPA and they were quick in their response 👍

Farallon

Reaction score
Your home is your castle; ain’t nobody’s business if you have a lock on a shotgun in your home.
Problem is, too many gang bangers keep a gun and a kid finds it...

CA has laws to prevent lack of common sense things, because there are too many people who do not have common sense.

I think you would like living in Idaho or Nevada, vs CA because of politics.

Common Sense

Reaction score
I do not believe there is any law prohibiting you from having a loaded shotgun in your house, even in California. There is a law saying you may be reasonable if it is stored in a spot children, other than your own, are likely to find it.

dummer71

Reaction score
What did CRPA say?
My understanding is that the Heller opinion protects the right to defend yourself in your own home.

nostrum

Reaction score
What did CRPA say?
My understanding is that the Heller opinion protects the right to defend yourself in your own home.
Quoting them as is:

All firearms purchased in California must have a CA DOJ-approved safety device. This is either a trigger lock, or some other type of lock that makes the firearm unusable when the device is engaged.

The requirement is not a big deal, except that everyfirearm purchased has to have a safety device. If you buy a new gun from your local gun store, the manufacturer usually includes a locking device with the gun.

Also, depending on where you live, you should check on the storage requirements in your city or county. California is a patchwork of local governments setting their own requirements. You can probably call your local police or sheriff and ask them about the requirements for your area.

They also shared links for new gun owner basics (YouTube) and training courses.

Top Bottom