Mountain Cur

Reaction score
Hi, I just recently got my first game camera and can see where film and developing could get kind of expensive, I was wondering if any of you "veteran game cam users" might have some money saving tips? (I know to set the timer delay to 10 minutes if the camera is set up at a feeder etc..)

gizz

Reaction score
Develop your film by mail order. (snapfish.com) there are many out there
Get single prints and smaller size
Negatives only - this is no fun though
go digital

gizz

Reaction score
Almost forgot, Welcome to the forum Mountain cur and to the world of homebrew. It truly is becoming a "world".

Hill Hopper

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome to the board Mountain Cur. Some folks have talked about having only the negatives done, then picking which to print, others have talked about going to walmart and only paying for the pics they want. Digitals the cheapest development. and you can see what you have befor leaving the woods.

shufigo

Reaction score
Hey Cur, Welcome aboard. I had exactly the same question about a month or so ago. As best I recall, the solutions were: the mail order in the previous post; WalMart where they only charge you for the prints you want (pick a slow time and make sure you do the selection at the photo section, not the main register; one dollar off cupons on the inside of each Fuji film box; use a store brand of film == KMarts "Focus film" is half the price of a brand name and I've seen no drop in picture quality, plus there's a buck off certificate if you develop at KMart. I'm sure there'll be some other ideas posted.

LW

Reaction score
 Cur, I have only been at this for a year, started with one commercial cam just before deer season last fall, I can see where if it were available then, I could have already had the payback on a digital homebrew over film and processing alone.

This may not be what you had in mind for cost cutting but I built 2 35mm setups for practice this spring  and sold one at cost to a friend in my hunting club just so he could help defer the expense, we  share what we learn and co-ordinate where we set up so we don't overlap the same hunting area.  

Knowing what I know now I would have started with a homebrew digital.  Keep track of your costs because you'll see,  just one cam ain't enough...:)

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
The digital is a good way to go but it can also get costly. The cameras are cheaper now and with the softwear on the market for working with photos you can make some neat pics. But now lets look at it this way....When i get my pics developed it cost me about $7.60 for 27 prints at my Rite-aid one hour service. Now i have my hard copies and negs. After scaning i can do the same stuff with the pics  in the softwear as i can with the digital and there is no need to save them in a file once they are loaded into my webshots to share with others. With the digital you will have to print out the ones you want to share with folks who have no computor . You may also want to copy them onto a cd or floppy disk and all of this cost extra money. Have you priced photo paper and photo ink lately or cd's? To me i think i'll stick to the canon owl and be more careful about where and how i set it up.When you get shots of the same animales a few days in a row then it's time to set up elsware. Im fairly new at this and this is just my take on the whole deal. There are others on here who know a whole lot more than i. Mike

Handcannon

Reaction score
Welcome MountainCur,   I've been using these cams for a few years now so here's my .02 cents worth. First off I prefer film over the digitals just because of the finer pictures. Second I usually only have negs developed ($1.76 for 24 exp roll @ WalMart), then with a 10x lupe and a small lightboard I decide which of those I might want printed.Also Canon and HP make scanners that will scan negs and they don't do too bad of a job.      Good Luck.

Top Bottom