Surprise Valley

NoCalHNTR

Reaction score
Jesse, Good to hear from you again. I deer hunted in X3B (Surprise Valley) this year. Got a smallish 4 point, nothing like my G3 buck. Going to Wyoming this fall to look for another 30 incher + antelope! Glad to see a California BB.

Anybody got plans to head up to Cedarville for ground squirrels? I went last year in May and had a blast but don't have anyone to go with this year. Still trying to talk me friend with a trailor to go. What guns would you take if you went. My arsenal consists of Savage 10FP .223 with Weaver V24, Ruger 10/22 with bull barrel and Weaver V16, Savage .22Mag with Simmons 3-9, and a S&W 22A with B&L 2X.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Hey NoCal,

Congrats on the deer. I just got back from a bowhunt  for pigs near Coalinga and the ground grizzlies were everywhere. Out of 6 of us 1 guy stuck a hog. It poured one of the hunt days and it was steep so it was an adventure. It looks like you have the armory sorted out.

This guy taunted me and I finally took a shot at him with the bow. Missed him high.

Here's a mess of em from last year's St. Valentine's Day massacre with my buddy Shane and his new H&R single shot .17 rifle. Not sure (can't remember), what scope he had on it.  We set up on an overlook above an apple orchard. Visions of Custer's last stand.

Good luck on your hunt and let's see if there is anybody who might want to join the fun with you up there.

Marty

Reaction score
I want to get my 10/22 ready for squirrels.
Last time I was at the range, it would not fire.
The action worked, but there was no evidence of the pin striking the case rim.
Anyone had one of these apart?  I can disassemble it, but would feel more comfortable with a schematic handy.

T

tdf

Hey NoCalHunter,
are there alot of Coyotes in the cederville area.  Have here some good reports but hadn't checked it out myself.  And are those ground squirrles on Uncle sams land?

NoCalHNTR

Reaction score
TDF,
Last year deer hunting I went up to a lake near Fort Bidwell which is about 20 miles north of Cedarville. Never saw any deer but I did see 8 coyotes piled at a cross road. I imagine this means there are alot of coyotes. I didn't bring my calls 'cause I was deer hunting. Much of the coyote hunting can be done on public land but the ground squirrels are all on private alfalfa fields. As was mentioned most farmers are agreeable and will let you shoot. Just be sure to be concientious about where you shoot and don't leave a mess or their attitudes might change. BTW, I'm from Woodland so it's quite a trek for me to get up there. Still haven't decided if I'm going to go this year.

NoCalHUNTR

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Marty,

Several years ago I had a similar problem with my 10/22.  Mine was the result of pure neglect.  The problem first manifested itself in lots of stovepipes and then eventually the thing wouldn't even go "bang!" like it's supposed to.  A very thorough cleaning solved the problem.  When you use low budget loads like I sometimes do, things get all gummed up in there and don't want to move around like they're supposed to.  I'm certainly no gunsmith and I was able to tear thing into little bitty pieces and get it back together, so it's certainly not rocket science.  Take your time, set all the parts out in a rational pattern on your workbench, and it shouldn't be too bad.  If you need to get a replacement manual, I believe that Ruger will send you one free of charge (besides being good customer service, I imagine it helps to curb at least some potential liability).  And if Ruger won't pony up with one, drop me an e-mail and I'll send you a photocopy of mine.  Good luck.

Regards,
Paul

Marty

Reaction score
Thanks Paul.  I do intend on stripping the receiver down.  Just as soon as I finish all the car and truck repairs.  Never enough time.  I did find an exploded view of the rifle to follow.  
M-

hunter mike

Reaction score
Hello,

Jesse I like this site.  I am from Redding and am planning a trip to Cedarville area for varmint hunting.  I will probably end up in Nevada on the dirt road somewhere looking for coyotes.  Does anyone know the regulations for using lights in Nevada (ie spotlighting for coyotes or rabbits)?  Also if there is anyone who knows of a good place to start looking for squirrels.  I am somewhat familiar with this area as I have been up there once but any info is appreciated.  Thanks!

dtur

Reaction score
Spectr17: You have hit on one of most enjoyable types of hunting - ground squirrels! It may not be romantic or macho (of course you were hunting pigs at the time I infer) but you gets lots of action and are doing ranchers a service (second only to killing calf--killing cowdowdies). People need to understand that those little critters (squirrels) carry hunta, plague, etc. and make nasty holes that can injure livestock. If you've ever had your horse hit one of their holes, that is not a pleasant experience either! If you like lots of action -- there is nothing better than ground squirrels. Even when you get a bunch down, it doesn't deter them! They start cannabalizing their dead, and you can get more. So the macho guys with more money than sense can have the once a year big game hunts -- I'll take a day of poppin' them little critters anyday. Most "big game hunters" do more talkin' than shootin' anyway!

Top Bottom