SWAN HUNTING

mudroller

Reaction score
I'm planning to make a swan hunting trip to Nevada or Utah or Idaho if they hunt them there. Any one ever gone before? I heard they are good eating and I want to have one mounted. They're so BIG,I couldn't miss and they come into my outlaw snows pretty good in Williams area. Suggestions?

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hiya Mudroller,

I never bought a tag, but my buddy hunted them with his dad every year.  It was a control hunt, and not really too challenging back there.  They said you just go into the field like goose hunting, then shoot them when they come in.  Almost guaranteed.  Have no idea what the hunting is like out here in the west, but I've sure seen enough bozos shooting at them when they flew too low over Grizzly Island.

As to eating them... it's really tasty meat, much better than goose in my opinion.  

MQ

Reaction score
Indeed they are very tasty. Some newbie duck hunter shot one on a club I once belonged to. Thought it was a snow goose. He had already brought it in from the field, so it was cooked up. It was great but we didnt let that guy live it down for a while......

mudroller

Reaction score
That's a BIG snow goose, did he think he shot the world record?

Duck Fan

Reaction score
Years and Years and Years ago at Wister, my dad and I witnessed a hunter come into the parking lot after hunting and walked as proud as he could be across the lot toward the check station.  He held up a HUGE white "snow goose" that he made sure everyone saw as he passed by.  

As he passed by my dad told me to "watch this son"..so I did.  He got to the check stand and the DFG guy came out with a horrified look on his face.  Yep, a nice Trumpeter Swan.  He yelled at the guy and wrote him up, took the bird and everyone in the lot was laughing at him.

The following year, in the check station, the swan had been stuffed and was sitting there so everyone could see what it looked like.  From then on (I haven't hunted there in 20 years), they always had an annoucement before they took reservations telling people about the swans in the area and to NOT SHOOT them.

I wonder if they still make that announcement?

MQ

Reaction score
Yeah, that sucker was HUGE. The nitwit was given a quick lesson on snow goose identification.......

Grumpy

Reaction score
Not legal to hunt them up here in this part of Canada,but I sure would like to try them.Don't know how anyone could mistake a 747 for a Cessna though!*L*

Latest Posts

Top Bottom