Swimmer loses arm to gator.

Drayton

Reaction score
This guy/kid is an idiot.

And about an arms length short of the Darwin award!

inchr48

Reaction score
Since he lost his left arm, I guess he's all right now.

Gunslingergirl

Reaction score
Very, very dumb. The article I read said that his friends tried to talk him out of swimming. I'm sorry, if you're a real friend you tackle the guy and don't let him up until he gives up the idea of going swimming.

skeeterbait

Reaction score
Been around gators all my life. Seen some big ones on the Aabama River and Tensaw delta. In these fairly remote areas they are timid and shy. However I wouldn't want to swim in the same area with them solely because of what they could be capable of. But frankly I feel the water mocasins and snapping turtles that live in these same areas pose a greater risk. The problem I see in Florida is the increasing close proximity of human habitation right in their former habitat. They get too used to human presence in these situations and grow bold.

barel74

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gunslingergirl @ Jun 25 2008, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The article I read said that his friends tried to talk him out of swimming.[/b]
Drinking by the canal, at 2:30 in the morning. I bet this all started with "I'll bet you 20 bucks you can't swim across that canal" Been there, done that..... just lucky I don't live in gator country I guess

Drayton

Reaction score
I feel sad for the gator.

Down here we have a-holes who think it's cute to feed wildlife like gators. Then the gators associate people with food and loose their fear of humans. These are called problem gators and are trapped and killed.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Geez folks, would you listen to yourselves?

I've done an awful lot of swimming in gator "infested" waters, including a three hour drift dive down the Ichetuknee in FL (gators on the bank every time I surfaced). Done a good bit of diving in shark "infested" waters too... including ab diving in Great White territory. Am I stupid or dumb? (Yeah, I know... setting myself up, here.)

Point is, this kid had a rare run-in with a gator. It hardly ever happens. It was a fluke of luck, and nothing else. Calling him "stupid" and crap like that really doesn't make any sense and reflects pretty poorly on the name-callers.

Now you wanna see stupid... check out the post about the guy who shot himself in the head with an "empty" gun.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Speck >> It was at 2:00 am

I bet all your trips were during the daylight hours.....

Now I used to do a little night fishing with an ex girlfriend but we weren't anywhere near the water......

Speckmisser

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Speck >> It was at 2:00 am

I bet all your trips were during the daylight hours.....[/b]
Arrowhead, I've made more night dives than I can remember. And moonlight swims... more than I could count both in gator (Lake Wales, FL, Cape Fear River, NC) and shark country (both oceans).

I'm a little more cautious now than I used to be, but that's mostly the spectre of death edging closer to my shoulder as I get older... that happens to everybody. But I still swim in the Cape Fear, and I still dive and swim in ocean waters.

Now if the gators in that canal had been threatening people or if they were feeding... then it would be stupid to dive in and swim with them. But just swimming in waters where you know there are gators... that's no more stupid than swimming the ocean where you know there are sharks or hunting a swamp where there are poisonous snakes.

The biggest problem I have with any of this is the backseat driving or armchair quarterbacks... everybody going off on this kid they don't even know based on some very sketchy information from the news media that most of them don't even trust.

He had some drinks and went swimming. As far as I could tell, he got real unlucky and ran into (probably literally) a gator. Now maybe something honestly stupid really did happen that night, but that part of the story has yet to come out. So far, he sounds like he could've been any other teenage kid in that part of the country.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I've been around gators in FL, AL and MS. We used to post someone with a rifle when we were at the swimming hole. You won't catch me swimming in gator water. When I was stationed at Keesler AFB they had a train derail into Mobile Bay. The gators chewed on the injured folks that lay in the water waiting for recue. I never swam in the bay again.

Ligthning is not likely to hit you either but you won't find me running around with shotgun or bow in my hand during a thunderstorm.

To me you gotta be a goof to get drunk and swim in gator water.

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
I used to regularly wade fish with big alligators when I was a teenager. I'd stand in water up to my neck with a bucket full of shiners and bass on a stringer tied to my shorts and watch gators ease all around me. I was content so long as I could visually see the gators on the surface. I believed that so long as I could keep my head above water if I was attacked, I could fight the gator off.

Now I would never do such a thing. Gators are too powerful and a really big one can and will catch a person without hesitation. All it has to do is grab your leg and twist once and it will pop your leg right off. Gators are everywhere here. Many Floridians, like myself when I was a teenager, don't have a healthy fear of gators because we are around them so much and most of the time nothing bad happens. But there's been enough fatal attacks in the last few years that we are all on notice that gators need respect. The boy made a bad decision. He didn't necessarily "deserve" to loose his arm. But it was a conseqence non-the-less.

Its the gators in the woods that really scare me, more so than semi-tame city gators. Once they reach 10-12 feet they start to prey almost exclusively on large mammals like hogs and deer. They lay in wait on game trails in wet areas and snatch whatever wades by them. Big woods gators don't seem to fear man much.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I didn't grow up around gators so I was naturally apprehensive when I finally saw one at 17. Do you folks that grew up around them think the gators are more aggresive now or have they lost their fear of humans since we have moved into a lot of their territory?

Another gator experience that freaked me out was my roomy doing some training in the swamps of FL with some Army Rangers. They were wading across a deep part with their rifles over their head when a small gator bit one of the Rangers right in the neck. It nicked an artery and they had to med evac the guy and he just about died. After that I wouldn't even buy a gator skinned wallet or shoes.

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
Jesse, there are more attacks now than what I remember growing up. In urban areas they can loose their fear of man because people feed them and are otherwise around them quite a bit. But in the wilder areas they've been hunted pretty heavily due to liberalized gator hunting seasons. It seems like the wilder gators should fear man more. But it seems like attacks are as likely to occur out in the wild as they are in a city canal. My guess is that there are more and bigger gators now than what there has been in previous decades due to the state's management of the gator population. 10 foot gators are common and 12+ footers are not altogether uncommon. When gators hit that 10 foot mark its like something changes in them and they become more of an apex predator. I also think people are not as aware of gators as they should be.

Top Bottom