Swiping other people's pics. How about a little courtesy?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Lately I've seen some game camera pics from members here appearing on other hunting websites. At first I thought it was kewl that the word was spreading. When I saw who was posting the pics with no mention of who took the pics or who owned the pics I started to wonder.

This is just a simple request. If the pics are not yours at least ask the person who took them to use them elsewhere. If you do get permission to use them at least give credit to who did the hard work to get the pics. Without a credit the people viewing the pics think the one who is posting them is the owner. Also, without a credit it invites other people to swipe them also since no name is attached to the pic.

This is not only common courtesy it's the law under the copyright laws.

Thanks.

BULL MOOSE

Reaction score
Jesse if you are referring to the Mt lion pic on kyhunting, I deleted it just now. I am not sure who took it or from which state it came, but it did come from this site. I was going to delete it the other day, but the edit function was disabled on the site.

I sure did not mean to step on any toes.  

coyotebandit

Reaction score
Maybe People should start putting text across pictures stating ownership? So at least they would get credit for the pic, and no one else could claim it was their own.

thehairlessone

Reaction score
i have never posted anyone else's pics  but i have saved a couple for myself that i thought were really neat.

rick

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
I save pics all the time and download them into my webshots page so I can use them on my screensaver and wallpaper.  I have never posted them on another site though.  Hope this doesn't offend anyone.

JoelM

Reaction score
I don't think spectr is talking about people downloading pictures for yourself to view and enjoy. I know I would not be offended if you all downloaded a picture of mine(deer pics I mean) lol . I may be a little upset if you posted it on another site and didn't give the credit due. I know I enjoy all the pictures you guys put on here and I think that is the purpose of this forum. To share information and the results of our labor. Let's just keep it in the family( no not insest  ). lol

2 cents worth...stepping down from the pulpit now : )

Thanks for everything guys.

Joel

davered1

Reaction score
My grizzly bear pics were posted on another site a couple of days after I posted them here. The fellow that posted them did not have my permission at the time to do so but SPECTR17 got a hold of him and told him about the law (THANKS for keeping an eye out, JESSE).I would never have known they were getting posted anywhere else if he hadn't spoke up.

I have talked to the fellow since and told him that it is no problem posting those pictures AS LONG AS I get credited for taking pics and he doesn't claim they are his pictures (which he didn't).

I don't mind if anyone copys my pictures as long as they don't claim they took them. Mine are here for everyone to enjoy.

Then again I am kinda partial to having them only on this site, If not for this site I wouldn't have any to share!!  

HMMMMM...............????

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Saving pics for your own use or desktop is usually no problem. Saving someone else's pics to your server and then posting them all over the Internet with no credit to who took the pics or permission to even use the pics is what I'm talking about.

Bullmoose,

that is not the pics I am talking about. As long as you post a credit to the pic owner you are okay. I posted a name to go with that cougar pic.

Dbworld

Reaction score
I think I've had some awesome pics, but not the the pic (yet) that everyone wants to take credit for....

Anyway that's my goal.  I wouldn't want to use anybody elses for my gain (ego?)  

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
Don't mind anyone useing my pics wherever they want if you give me the credit for the pic, have at it. But please don't just steal them and claim them as yours. It's just not right , thanks, Mike (Shrewshooter)

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Heh,i dont care one way or the other what anyone does to my pics,of course i dont have any big ol bucks to post either.but i can only speak for myself of course.

MBullism

Reaction score
I understand the hard feelin's if your running/maintaining a website and your hardwork shows up elsewhere... I agree.  As for my own pics, It's like the picture of me in college with the two (oops, almost let that out of the bag!  :lipssealed: )  I figure once there out there, they're out there.

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
OK, I must fess up.  I use Shane's great colage on this forum's home page as my wallpaper on my desktop.  Do I have to volunteer for thirty days in the electric chair?

Top Bottom