Synthetic bag.... Help

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
REI is having a 20% off sale and I'm buying a synthetic 15-20 degree bag. Any thoughts... recommendations... bad experiences... The North Face Mammoth is appealing because of the 68" shoulder girth. Bulk and weight are on the large size though. On the other end is the NF Cats Meow weighs in at a mear 2.14 for the large one. I'll be using it as a backpack bag where foul weather is likely. Ed F

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Ed, check out the Marmot Pounder Plus. That will be my next lightweight bag, at least for the early season. I also have the NF Snowshoe -20 for the cold stuff. It's light for a syn bag and it is really warm, but it's a bit tight fitting. If you want roomy, the Big Agnes bags are where it's at, you'll just have to carry it.

Reaction score
I carry a Mountain Hardware Syn bag @ 3lbs with foul weather.......not light but its got the goods.

For anything else I use a Marmot Hydrogen down bag but thats a topic for another day.

MS

bodega

Reaction score
The Cat's Meow is pretty narrow, but it's a good bag if you can handle the lack of spread-out room. If there's an REI near you, definitely try them out. I'm also in the market but I'm looking for a down bag that will be warmer than my old Blue Kazoo. Can't go wrong with TNF's lifetime warranty.

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
I've been using the NF Cats Meow for the last 6 years or so and never been cold, it's light enough and packs really well...dries FAST!

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I have a NF synthetic 0 bag, think it's the snowshoe but not sure. I am not the mountain of a man you are Ed so it fits me plenty well. But for anything before late September I just take an extra layer and use my Marmot Pounder 40deg bag with Cabelas XPG bivy. I have never been more than just slightly cool with that thing and feel comfortable because I just tote the extra layer, which I use glassing if the weather moves in.

That Marmot pounder is as the name says a pound, I really like it for what it is, but wouldn't be on Kodiak with it.

easymoney

Reaction score
IMHO, synthetic bags are not the lightest but actually the best bang for the buck.
I have a 20deg bag that I use for early season short trips. It does not hold a candle to my down bag for weight or warmth, yet was only $85 bucks 15 years ago and still does the job very well...

SDHNTR

Reaction score
True, but where Ed is going the water falls from the sky like the salmon of Capistrano so I don't think down is even a consideration.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
I have two quality down bags that I use on all my backpack hunts. I own a heavy synthetic bag that I use at base camp (-15, heavy and bulky). This new bag is gonna fill a void and be used when heavy weather is gonna happen! After going back and forth a few times, I bought the Mammoth. AHHH, I can't wait to sleep in it. The other bags were really narrow. I crawled in the Cat Meow and was surprised at how small it felt. I'll grit my teeth to carry the extra 8-14 ounces. Thanks for the replies.

Now I need some good synthetic camo clothing. All my hunting gear is either cotton or wool. I have Under Armor base layers. I'm gonna use my Helly Hanson rain gear. I need some good synthetic layers. Is anyone using the new Under Armor hunting clothes? I checked it out at BPS and I like it. Ed F

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
If you need a insulating fleece layer the predator jacket is as warm as anything I have seen. WIth that, a beanie, gloves, base layer and thin layer over the base I hunted sub freezing rain in GA this past winter with no issues. It is heavy compared to all my other fleece stuff, but the warmth is insane.

I cut out the elastic in the cuffs, that crap was tight enough to cut blood flow off, and the ziper is backwards, but besides those small issues I love mine.

Everyone else around here loves Sitka.

Microtek pants are great for me too, you tried any of those?

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Sitka or Microtex. Sitka is cut better IMO, and it dries super fast. You can wring it out and hang it and it's dry in 5-10 min. I haven't seen the UA stuff.

Monsterbull

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BOWUNTR @ May 11 2008, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Now I need some good synthetic camo clothing. All my hunting gear is either cotton or wool. I have Under Armor base layers. I'm gonna use my Helly Hanson rain gear. I need some good synthetic layers. Is anyone using the new Under Armor hunting clothes? I checked it out at BPS and I like it. Ed F[/b]
UA is good stuff - you might look at the stretch camo vest, or stretch camo pullover for underneath your HH.

richardoutwest

Reaction score
Ed, do you really need a bag like that for August Coues? Looked like you were pretty warm on top of the covers with a wet towel over you!!!

Top Bottom