Synthetic rifle stocks

Judge

Reaction score
I am looking for a quality synthetic rifle stock for a Remington 700BDL LA (7mm mag). The primary reason is to save weight for a Mountain elk hunt on foot.

There are numeroous stocks on the market, all promising some advantage over the others. The pricing runs the spectrum.

Anyone have any opinions/experience or recommendations regarding synthetic stocks.

bhemry

Reaction score
I don't have experience with them but I've read good things about the Bansner Hi-tech stocks in Rifle & Handloader magazines. They weigh in around 20 oz. and are said to be very stout (they don't bounce up & slap the barrel in recoil) and are priced at $210. I'm going to be buying one myself very soon. Web site is www.bansnersrifle.com to read the particulars. I sure can't afford to have them bed it for me though!

Here's my factory synthetic stocks with recoil pads for comparison: Win 70 weighs 28 oz, Rem 700's (2) were 36 oz., & Rem 7's (2) were 37 oz. Recoil pad weight 3 oz, but can't remember which Remington pad I weighed.

Also remember most stock companies aren't including the weight of the pad. Lone Wolf at www.lonewolfriflestocks.com has some down to 12 oz., but I know nothing personally about them either.

Wish I already had my Hi-tech stock bought & installed so I could give you firsthand info!

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
You can pick up new ones for cheap on ebay. Just got one for a model 70 for 60 bucks. Drop in fit.

RayO

Reaction score
I like the Hi-Tech stock bhemry mentions.I've work with 5 of them in the last couple of years.At 20 ozs. they are light and will hold up.The first one I used was on a 7mag. thats done alot of hunting,the gun still shoots good.I put that stock on about 15 yrs. a go.The ebay stocks are mostly plastic ,thats why there cheap.Plastic stocks are not as light as fiberglass.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
The HS Precision ones with the aluminum bedding block are well worth the money and should make your gun much more accurate too.

slowpoke

Reaction score
I put a HS Precision stock on a 700 bdl ss in 7 mm and have been really happy with it. It was a huge step up from the factory synthetic stock. The groups tightened up 1/8 to 1/4", but the rifle also got a little heavier. Most of the lighter stocks are hollow and not filled with foam and this typically makes them loud when you are going through brush. The rifle also feels well balanced and not muzzle heavy. Brown Precision also makes high quality stocks. Good luck, there are many good stocks out there and these are just the two aftermarket stocks I have used.

Top Bottom