TA DA! I made one!!

kerux

Reaction score
OKAY... I made one!  I am not sure I have the aim set well on the RS PIR but I will test it in the field.  Seems like there is an odd delay that keeps the camera from firing a bunch of times in a row, which I guess is good so I don't shoot a whole roll on one deer... and I am curious how far away you all put yours.  Mine seems to trigger at 15ft or less.  Still letting some silicone dry, but my plan is to have it in the field tomorrow afternoon.  THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME.  This is the BEST message board on the NET !!!!!!!!!!!!!

StringShooter

Reaction score
kerux,
Congrats! You may need to fine tune it a bit as the first cam is allways the hardest to build. The delay is for the reason you mentioned. And if you are using a Canon PF, the forced flash will help it from firing two pics in a row.

Post some pics when you get them.

bigbucks

Reaction score
kerux, good job. Now you're hooked. It will take a while to learn the best ways to mount the cam, but I like to angle mine slightly downward. This prevents something too far away from triggering the PIR. Many times at night, the deer will be just at the edge of the flash range. It doesn't do any good to get a picture at night of something 50 or 60 feet away (the range of most PIRs). Let us see you're pics when you get them.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
If its only reaching about 15', the fresnal lens may be off a little. Congratulations!

MSturkeygetter

Reaction score
****** is right. The first pir that I mounted inside the box I messed with for a day or two. If you keep working with it you will get it right. This is the best board with alot of real fine folks that go out of there way to help you. Congrats on your first cam.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
kerux,Congrats!!! glad you got it working,they get better and better everytime you build one,you learn more on each one and get pickier with each new cam,but that first is the babe!

trjones

Reaction score
The temp. can also affect the distance of the RS PIR.  I usually only get about 10 feet in the day time w/ the high temps in Fl.  I noticed my night pictures were getting much better range.  I was in Ga. last week.  When I went to pick my cam up in the a.m. I was getting about 20 ft.  Seems to work better in cooler temps.

Top Bottom