Taft for birds

Sky Buster

Reaction score
is anyone still hunting birds out in taft?  i was thinking of going out this weekend, since its my last open weekend before the season ends.  but, i just wanted to know if anyone is still doing any good out there.  thanks for the info.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Sky Buster, When I was out at the JHP hunt at Carizo, there were a S@#$ load of Doves out there, to bad the season is closed, but there were some guys we met that were hunting quail. They didn't find any yet ,but it was still early in the morning. Good Luck:gunfighter:

bloodsports

Reaction score
Was out last Wed.  Still alot of quail and chukar behind Maricopa.  Ended up with 5 quail and 3 chukar.  Should have done better but it rained all day...

Sky Buster

Reaction score
Gregg, where exactly is maricopa.  i read about it in one of your posts.  is there anyway you could point me in a direction once im up there?  this will probably be my last day of the season, and i havent bagged a bird yet.  pretty sad, but i didnt do the scouting that i should have done before the season started.  well, thanks for your info.

bloodsports

Reaction score
The hills behind Taft are the same hills behind Maricopa.  Maricopa is is just south of Taft about 10 miles or so off hwy 166.  Off 166 you turn on Elkhorn Grade.

Warning:  Its not easy walking.  Iam in good shape and those hills still kick my butt.      

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Greg,

If you ever need company let me know, I don't have a lot of faith left in the last two weeks of waterfowl season!

Sky Buster

Reaction score
Gregg, do you use a dog?  or do you just walk the hills.  also i remember you talking about the guzzlers up there...  do you find most of your birds near the guzzlers, or are they pretty spread out now?  and are the guzzlers easy to find?  sorry im asking so many q's  but, ive never been up there, so i just want to know what to expect.  im also looking forward to seeing some chukars.  since the chukar and quail are usually together, what size shot do you use to compromise the two?  i heard that chukars usually need a size 6 to bring them down, but it seems like a 6 would be too much for the quail...thanks again for all your help.  im probably heading up there on friday if there's anyone interested...

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I couldn't believe how tough wild chukar are.  I used 6's and I would anchor them good and they would still be alive.

Brian

bloodsports

Reaction score
All,  
There are several spots I hunt around Maricopa, some are around guzzlers, some are near springs and then there are some spots were there is no water anywhere.  I do use a dog ( a Britt. ) but it makes no differance.  What makes a differance is I walk the steap rocky hills that no-one else will. I also dont shoot the quail until I rule out that there are no chukar.
If it seems like Iam holding out info from anyone Iam not.  Its hard for me to give you guys exact directions because once you are up their the roads are not named or marked.
Iam willing to take anyone up their and show them the spots.  I think I will be going up their again next Thur.

P.S For the chukar I use Remington Heavy Game Loads size 6.  

Fubar

Reaction score
bloodsports Sounds like you are earning your birds to me. Walkin on steep rugged hills is tough work.            Fubar

songdog

Reaction score
Gregg,

I was planning on heading up there (Carrizo) for some coyote hunting next Thursday.  Maybe we can meet up and at least put a name with a face?

bloodsports

Reaction score
Sounds good to me!!  
Last week I tried calling for coyotes where I hunt for the chukar.  About 10min into my calling I spoted 4 coyotes running full speed twards me.  At about 100 yards they caught wind of me and took off in the other direction.  That was my first time calling for them and I think Iam now hooked. I will be doing the coyote thing more often.

Ill drop you an email so we can hook up.  It will be great to put the face to the name.

Sky Buster

Reaction score
gregg, im heading up there this friday.  thanks again for all your info.  youve been more than helpful.  im glad that you posted about the coyotes too, cause i was planning on taking my calls and some buck shot.  now i know that theyre up there.  well, thanks again, sorry about buggin you with so many questions...

Sky Buster

Reaction score
i hunted up behind maricopa yesterday.  i didnt see any birds up there.  there was alot of sign, but also alot of sign of hunters where i was.  i did see spots where there would be a pile of quail feathers.  i dont know if people were shooting them and leaving them and let the coyotes have em, or if they were plucking and cleaning them.  but i must have seen about 20 piles in about 100 yards, it was pretty weird.  i know the place i hunted used to hold alot of birds, cause there was shells everywhere.  i did see alot of coyotes up there though.  i tried calling, and got 3 to come in.  they didnt get close enough for shotgun, and when i tried to call them in closer, they took off.  and i also spooked up 4 more while walking a stream bed... they were lucky i the 7 1/2's in my gun..  but it was a beautiful day up there, and you cant beat that.  thanks again Gregg for all the info.  and i give you alot of credit, you work for every bird you shoot up there.  those hills can be pretty nasty.  i think i might go back to chase down those coyotes, cause there is alot up there, and theyre not too hard to find.

bloodsports

Reaction score
Sky Buster,

Did you hunt off Elkhorn Grade or did you hunt in the oil fields?  Did you find or look for the guzzlers?  Drop me a line when you decide to go back up there,  maybe we could hook up and I could show you the areas that I hunt.  

Thonzberry

Reaction score
shybuster, sounds like you found some dove hunters pile of feathers. dove season ended e few weeks ago, I saw a S@#$ load of them during the JHP hunt there, who knows. Sorry to hear you didn't find anything. Maybe I can meet you out there one day and try for some yotes.

Sky Buster

Reaction score
Gregg,  i hunted off of elkhorn grade.  i took the road to the top of the hills and parked just before a private property gate.  i hunted the left side of the road.  i worked those hills all the way back down to level ground almost.  i did look for guzzlers, but didnt see any.  i did find a small spring, and hunted around there, but still no luck.  there were broken clays everywhere around that area.  after that, i went back down towards the dog food plant, and turned down a dirt road.   i took that road as far back as i could (2wheel drive truck), or at least as far as i felt comfortable, because i was by myself.  and then walked the hills around there.  i think my main problem was that i was too close to where most people hunt or shoot.  now that i know the area a little better, ill get a little more adventurous my next time out there.  i'd like to get one more trip in before the season ends, maybe next week.  so if i do, ill try to get a hold of you.  that would be great if you could show me the ropes a little bit.  thanks again.

bloodsports

Reaction score
Sky Buster,

It sounds like you hunted around the kitty litter plant.  There is no Private Gate that is on Elkhorn Grade.  However there is a cattle gate but its ok to enter as long as you close the gate behind you.  Elkhorn Grade will take you all the way to Soda Lake.  Let me Know when you go back up there and I will show you some spots....  

Sky Buster

Reaction score
Gregg, thanks for the offer.  yeah, i stayed pretty close to the plant.  when i got close to the gate, i just figured it was private property, and didnt want to have to deal with any angry farmers.  but, i think i might be going up there next sunday to go after the coyotes, but ill let you know, maybe we can meet up and do some hunting together.  

yotegetter

Reaction score
I'll probably be heading up to Carrizo next monday since it's a holiday at work and not all people have that day off.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom