Tag question :help:

Azoner

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post and I have to say that this is a great board with a lot of useful information on hunting in CA.
I have never hunted deer in CA and I am tryin to figure out the 1st and 2nd deer tags.
Can one tag be for A zone and one for a differnt zone, say D13?
Do they have to be for the same zone?
Or do you have to earn the 2nd tag by bagging a buck with the 1st tag?
Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

blazintowers

Reaction score
yes you can get a-zone for first and d-13 for second, and you dont have to tag out on your first to get a second... also welcome!!!!!! Blazin

BDB

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I was in the same boat as you 3 years ago. You can get both tags for the same zone or different zone as long as they are not sold out. You can get them both at once also. Obviously you missed the draw for the premium zone or special draw tags.

Deer tags still available

You used to be able to go into any fish and game office and get your over the counter (A, D3-5 etc) tags right on the spot if they had some left but most offices (as I hear it) no longer do that (due to budget cuts I assume). You can still get the apps from Big 5 and probably some wallmarts to fill out and mail in. A zone is starting up pretty soon so I'd get cracking.

A quick call to a local DFG office will tell you if you can pick up the tags in person.

DFG Offices

Azoner

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reponse, I thought I was reading the regs correctly, but I am convinced the DFG trys to make them as confusing as possible.
Hopefully I will be able to provide some information for the rest of you on the board.

I definitely need to get on the ball.

Thanks,
Jason

BDB

Reaction score
Yeah, I think Grey Davis had a whole team of lawyers on that one for years.

Buck Hunter Vic

Reaction score
Well this yr I went for both A zone& D3,4 & 5,and was able to get my tag's over the counter at the DF&G, in Monterey County,not to say you can at every office,but it's worth a call.

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I spoke to a DFG Personnel at the DFG Office in Belmont and she said DFG Office will issue tags. It's just the sale of license and tag application that you have to buy them somewhere else like Big5 or a sporting good store. Another you have to go to Big5, buy your hunting license and deer tag applications. Then take your deer tag applications to DFG Office and they will give you the tags. Maybe this only pertains to the Belmont Office so what ever office you will be going to, it is still a good idea to call and ask.

L2H

Hoghunter

Reaction score
Hello & Welcome to the Board Azoner
You can Buy 2 deer tag apps. at any walmart ,Kmart or Big 5 etc. But if you want to hunt a 2 deer zone, A zone or b zone and a D or X zone you want to use your first tag app. for the D or X
zone. Your a little late for the X zone draw though. They have to be at F&G office in June for the draw. You can aply for a D zone tag with your second app. but they don't issue them until Sep.
and if the quota is meet with first tag apps. you won't get the tag for that zone. I made that mistake before.
Hope that help.
Good Hunting Hoghunter

NCahuntinfool

Reaction score
Second deer tags for rifle went on sale Augaust 2nd, and second tags for archery went on sale in July. Just thought you would like to know

Rookies

Reaction score
I bought my first and second deer tags at Big 5 filled it out and sent it the next day. This was like a week ago July 29 and I just recieved it Saturday. So that was like a week wait only. If your not applying for those special zones it doesnt usually take long to get your tags in the mail. Usually D-13 and A zone never sell out. Good luck and goot hunting.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom