Tag Validation

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Pondering weather or not to get a tag and was wondering how long DFW takes to validate the tag and pull a tooth? Also I could see getting a bear out of the woods when DFW was closed and wanting to get the meat processed and in the freezer as quickly as you can. Is it common or acceptable to roll into the DFW the next day or on a Monday to have your tag validated with only the head? The transport requirements spelled out in the "hunting digest" suggest the bear must be presented for validation as soon as possible. It also suggests you should make an appointment for tag validation and tooth extraction, do you really have to make an appointment to have the tooth pulled/tag validated?
Could call a validation office but it'd be nice to hear from hunters.

MariotheBarber

Reaction score
I’m curious about this too. I bought another bear tag this year, the only thing that worries me about getting one is getting the tag validated, and the tooth extraction, etc.. and the pain in the rear that goes with it

hntndux

Reaction score
The best thing to do is get the phone number for the warden in the area your hunting. If you kill a bear, call him and see if he can meet you somewhere on your way out. Sometime, if you're having the bear processed (assuming you can find a place that will accept them) nearby, you can let the warden know and he'll swing in their to vaildate it. Otherwise, drive home and take the head(not frozen) in to a field office the next business day. They realize the difficulty in trying to get ahold of someone on a Sunday. So you won't have any problems. The appointment part is just to make sure there is someone there qualified to do an extraction and fill out the necessary info.

dthome

Reaction score
It’s not usually a big deal to drop by your local DFW office for validation and tooth extraction at your earliest possible time. I’ve always validated and had tooth pulled at the same time. No worries. Just know that in the field, a warden sometimes cannot extract a tooth, so you’ll likely need to swing by an office anyway. Just call first; no appointment needed.

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Sounds like it'd be good to have both phone numbers in our pockets.

Last edited:

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I am fortunate enough to live not too far away from a hatchery that I can take my bears to. I never had a problem taking it in the next day. I was told some hatcheries are 24 hour and you can usually get it taken care of on the way home. I have frozen the head but propped the mouth open with a stick. Just pull the head out of the freezer a few hours before you drive over if for example you do it after work.
I have been told a lot of stories about frozen heads that were not propped open enough to have the tooth pulled. They were sent away and told to return the next day when the bears mouth could be opened.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Had to drive 50 miles to a field office, but they told me to try to make it within a week of harvest --- just prop the mouth open with a stick.

flytrue

Reaction score
The best thing to do is get the phone number for the warden in the area your hunting. If you kill a bear, call him and see if he can meet you somewhere on your way out. Sometime, if you're having the bear processed (assuming you can find a place that will accept them) nearby, you can let the warden know and he'll swing in their to vaildate it. Otherwise, drive home and take the head(not frozen) in to a field office the next business day. They realize the difficulty in trying to get ahold of someone on a Sunday. So you won't have any problems. The appointment part is just to make sure there is someone there qualified to do an extraction and fill out the necessary info.
This! I called ahead before even killing one and had a phone number ready. The warden met me at work the following day to pull the tooth from the head in a bucket. He was a very nice guy.

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Seems like it would be a good thing for some of the younger wardens to interact with seasoned hunters.

DFGELK

Reaction score
Just a note, please do not bring in a frozen head. I can almost guarantee the person pulling it will snap the tooth and make you come back. I know I did. Also, the point of the stick is to make the mouth open wide. I had people bring in a head with a tiny stick in the mouth with the jaws clamped shut (stick not doing anything). Makes it a lot easier to extract a tooth. I used to do this on just the head of the bear. Good luck

dthome

Reaction score
Where have you been dfgelk? We need more input from folks like you.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Way I figure it... I live less than a mile from their Los Alamitos office... and if I get a Bear... Papa is gonna need some serious recuperation time afterward. I figure they can't fault ya for needing time to crash out and recuperate. I'd certainly try to get it to somebody ASAP. But more when it's feasible and safe to do so. Not the night of, when I'm running on fumes as it is.

Revo2811

Reaction score
They were just talking about this on a podcast. Legionost check it out
Some questions to the game warden (California)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom