Takes Picture When Switched To Camera On

Hey Boy

Reaction score
My Homebrew came out awesome. I've been wanting to do this to my Canon Owl since I was first refered to this sight a couple of years ago from The Bowsite. I got a new Digital Camera for Christmas so to the internet and the basement I went. I ordered everything online from RS went to electrical supply got a 6x6x4 fits awesome. Ready for camo paint.

I'm having 2 problems.  1 The camera takes a picture the second I go from off to on ( talking about  the 3 position sw.  test,off,on.) It works fine in the test mode.

2  The PIR  makes the test light stay on permenantly in the "alarm" mode and the camera does not fire. The PIR only works normal in the chime mode.  20% more power.

I gave my step-on an OWL last year for Christmas. He better hide that sucka good.

Thanks for any and all responses.

bmulley

Reaction score
I guess the question is how you wired it.  Once the RS PIR is turned on (off to chime or alarm) or the voltage is applied to it through the battery, it takes about 60 secs to warm-up.  During this time, there is voltage at pin 2 or at the speakers and it will enerize your relay for this period of time and close the contacts thus camera action.  In the chime mode, it should only activate for a two second or so period of time, but in alarm mode i believe it's sixty seconds.  I usually warm the pir in (dpdt switch in the led mode) till the led goes out then switch the dpdt switch to camera mode.

bmulley

Reaction score
oh, ok I guess you wired it with just a dpdt and the battery power is on one of the poles.  I think that unless you put the battery power through it's own spst switch and allow it to warm up before putting the dpdt switch to camera, you will still have this problem.

Zeke

Reaction score
Yep, Been there, done that. I started out with 2 SPSTs, but changed one for a DPDT before I put it in the woods. Unless you put in a DPDT, the cam will fire when you power it up. Z

Hey Boy

Reaction score
Thanks You Guys.

I figured out the alarm , chime thing out earlier on my own. I am mystified by camera taking a pict. when I go from TEST to ON. I've wired it from the diagram on the site for the RS PIR. I'm using a SPST for the power ON-OFF from the battery. I'm using a DPDT for the TEST LED and CAMERA CONTINUITY. The DPDT has an OFF position in the middle. Can that be my problem?
Should I also have put a hole in the front cover for the Camera's PIR?
What position do you guys put the camera selector on? I've set it on AUTO.
The unit really came out sweet.
I'm HAPPY !!

Strutter

Reaction score
My cams are wired with the SPST switch and I have no problem with them taking a pic when going from test light to cam IF I wait til the test light times out before switching.  If the test light is on and you switch it the cam will take a pic due to relay being energized I assume.  If you wait til the light times out you will have no problems unless you stick your hand in front of PIR when making the switch. LOL  On my cams, when in chime mode, the reset time is 5 seconds with no movement in front of sensor.  In alarm mode it takes 30 seconds of no motion to reset after being tripped.    This is how all the ones I have built work and so far I have had no problems and have only had a few multiple pics. Usually of curious fawns.  I have taken several hundred pics with my first 2 cams and they are still going strong.  Thanks to a great website and invaluable information.

Strutter

quackmaster

Reaction score
when you turn your unit on, be sure the DPTD is switched to the LED. The LED may stay lit for 20+ seconds. Once the LED goes out, then switch it over to camera.
I wouldn't recommend that you use the Alarm mode.

Hey Boy

Reaction score
That explains the whole thing Strutter and thanks quackmaster. Both of my problems were revolving around the time difference. I never actually fire up the RS PIR before I put it into the system. If I have it right. In CHIME mode it would ring like a door bell. Who would want a 30 sec. long door bell? DING DONG.  In ALARM you would want it to run for a longer period of time. Well it is in the woods now.
I'll let it stand a week and check it out. Thanks Again for all your help.   Are you guys using 400asa
or what might be better?

Zeke

Reaction score
I'm using 400 Kodak. I did use 2 rolls of 100..the film that came with the cam.  But I bet you dont leave it out for a week. whatcha say guys 2..3 days at the most! lol. I did manage to wait till the 12 pics were taken to take it out but then that was on Christmas day and I couldnt get them developed!!! AARRRGGGHH!!!   Z

Top Bottom