Taught Little Tominator a valuable lesson today

Tominator

Reaction score
Turkenator went hunting with me this afternoon and fell asleep during the 3 minute ride to the land I hunt. Being the nice guy that I am, I let him sleep and just rode around till he woke up. After an hour and a half of cruising the the fields around my turkey haunts, he awakes and we head to the woods. As we neared the top of a hill in the pasture I see a fist sized gobbler head 30 yds from me looking the other direction. I instantly drop and head the little man off in the other direction. He owned the top of the hill so we looped around below him. We had been setup for about 45 minutes without him gobbling and the Little Man was getting antsy. He wanted to know why the bird wasn't gobbling if he was still there. I tried to explain that they don't gobble as much in the afternoon and that if we wait him out we'll be giving him a ride in the Turkey Hearse about sundown. Turkenator kept saying that he wanted to sneak up and see if he was still there. After telling him repeatedly that if we move we will never kill him, I had an idea. He finally asked again if we could move and check on him so I told him to come with me I wanted to show him something. We eased out to the creek bed and followed it till we were out of the birds line of site then made a 45 minute loop to get above him. Just as I had hoped, when we got above him he was about 30-40 yds from our previous setup, looking for the hen. I pointed him out and explained that had we stayed we would have killed him. Of course the Turkenator instantly wanted to know why I had moved! We had about a 20 minute pow wow on the fine art of patience while we watched the Tom search in vain for the hen. (The talk was as much to reassure myself as it was to teach him)
Maybe one day later on when he's hunting on his own he'll think back to this day and kill a Tom that he would otherwise have left, that's all I ask of this trip to the woods.

Tominator  

KIDKY

Reaction score
good post Tominator, we ALL live and learn sometimes.  best of luck to you and your boy, Ryan.

woodsman

Reaction score
good post Tominator , My son is 17 months old and I can't weight for the day .

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Good Story.

My daughter has a little more patience than my son, not much more but a little.

Sounds like a good lesson learned.

(Edited by Arrowhead at 5:38 pm on April 16, 2002)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Great story and lesson Tominator. I don't know how many times I've stood up after giving up on a tom, dusted off my pants, only to look over and see the tom run off.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom