Tazbux what happened?????

MULIES4EVER

Reaction score
I am not sure if I missed your post but I was wondering if you ever got that buck you were after? Did you end up posting in a different forum than shed hunting?

TazBux

Reaction score
G'day.No luck with a monster this year.We didn't get the cold weather we needed to bring the bucks out. Plenty of 4th horners about on the padocks but the big deer were coming off in the half light(of a morning) so it was hard to see them let alone have a shot. I did just spend an hour writing out a few scenarios (a missed chance) but to read them just upsets me.I take deer hunting very seriously.I wish a few of our hunters and even the poachers did also.I'll spill one of the stories soon enough.After I take a film of him running next to the car or something in a few weeks.Thats how ironic our season is.

On the last day I thought,"wow,and I didn't even find anything to post on jesses and i was actualy trying to find a few".

Then,low and behold.A dead spike on my final day,on the way out of the hill.
[attachment=50884:picture_571.jpg]

I had this little guy come up a dogwood strip and lay down no more than 10 yards infront of me.After watching to see if any large bucks were coming up (an hour or 2) I started grunt burping at him and whistling tunes.I even hissed at him like a large cat but to no avail.He wouldn't move.I have film of my grunt burping and hissing and I even throw a piece of bark at him and he just stood their.Who needs a trail cam when you have a keen Tasmanian in a leafy 3d suit?lol
[attachment=50885:deer44.jpg]

MULIES4EVER

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you didnt get your buck. Its all good fun though. Good luck with the sheds.

TazBux

Reaction score
Certianly no use crying over foged scopes.

All season the big deer done me.They were coming off the padocks way to early.The one day I did manage to get close to one this is how it went.

I awoke at 5:30am am an hour and a half before daylight.I got my gear ready,had a biscuit and began to feel the wind for direction.This would determine wich way I would head out from camp.It was a stif NW so with that I had a certian strip of cutting sags picked out to wait next to. I arrived at my spot 45mins before daylight,the moon was high and bright.As I sat their shivering wildly in the cold before daylight it started to rain very very hard."Not to worry"I thought.So I grabed my rain jacket from my pack and a plastic bag for the action of my rifle.I sat my rifle down and began to vigourisly glass the moonlit padock.Then BAM 30 mins later I saw the sailboat monster running off the padock and heading straight for the fence crossing infront of me.3 does were infront of him."This is funny I thought","the does should be on the padocks and not running off 10mins before daylight".Someone had put them off and the monster was making his dash.200 yards off now as he came running up the padock,my heart was pumping so hard my head was nodding like someone in need of medication.I have never ever been so pumped in all of my life.But as I glassed him it got lighter and lighter.He was in a hurry but didn't want to be killed crossing the fence so he walked up and back along it a few times 150 yards off.Whilst he was doing that BAM, I spot my major target buck named red cabbage (he looks to have 3ft long peices of cabbage off his head,briming with spikes)."OMG OMG OMG" I thought,"Yes","yes',yes.I was giving miniture silent airpunches,looking up.Then looking at the ground and going"yes","yes","this is it",This is a lifetime wait ending right now",I thought..It was only just light enough to place a shot now.As they negotiated the fence I noticed the does run up the other side of the sags that I couldn't see."Oh no" I silently cried,"I'll fix that".So I walked inline with a log to where I could see the does make an exit into the hill.But the stags didn't go that way,no no no they headed straight for me.I waited behind the log so they couldn't se my head bobbing up and down.I gave it a few minutes and when I thought they would be close enough I slowly stuck my barrell over the log.I slowly lifted my head and thought "FAR OUT",,,They were now 40 yards off.So I put my eye behind the scope and the black one noticed me.He turned side on but as he did the red one did also.I was ready to squeez but my scope was so foged up I couldn't see them through it."No no no no no,Oh no damn no no no_Oh &&^&^(&%#& old heap of *&*()^&*)^%*&^ foggy &^%(&^&^$&^%.I honestly felt like running at them and holding my rifle at the hip and blasting wildly.But that would not have helped the cause any.

Later that day I had a mob fly towards me off the padock.80 does and one nice 22 point buck amongst them.As I made my way behind cover one of our other hunters started blasting away at him from the 300 yard mark as it ran.He didn't touch the buck so I thought "It's my turn now",The deer now headed towards me even more after his shots.I sat at the base of a tree and when he got close enough I let a bullet go.It missed.So I let another go,It connected a doe right in the spine."Damn I thought","Oh well thats life".Later that night I took photo's of the buck ontop of the hill.He was no monster by anymeans.But as I talked to the hunters that had the shot they said."WOW see the monster in that mob",...I chuckled to myself and thought "Thank god you think thats a monster",The next day My father and I left the property quite happy that the monsters we are after will almost never be shot.

This is red cabbage last year during the rut.I took this video 4 days after seasons end (now thats irony) He is such a luvly animal.He comes in from left of frame.He was bigger this year also. Oh well Maybe next.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/Ed...=Movie_0003.flv

This is the 22 pointer that I could have shot instead of taking his pic.He survived only to become a target for next year.
[attachment=50971:22point.jpg]

A view from where I was.Only minutes before I took picture above.
[attachment=50973:gully.jpg]

At the end of the day I was happy just being their realy.Naturaly it's a shame to miss a chance.But theirs always next year.With a view like this who needs monsters anyways?

MULIES4EVER

Reaction score
Great story thanks for the update. I love the country over there.

MULIES4EVER

Reaction score
Just watched the video. That is a ton of deer. He definatly is a monster. Wonder what he will look like next year. Try hard to find his sheds and show us some pics.

fossilman

Reaction score
Video was great,good luck Taz on his shedds............

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom