TC Omega ---> Getting tuned up

huntley

Reaction score
Hit the range today and took out the TC Omega for some 200 yard testing. I had been out the previous weekend and found that the Barnes 250 Grain TEZ w/Flat based worked pretty good at 100 yards, 1.25 inch five shot group (see attached pic).

I shot today at 200 yards and shot a 4.5 inch five shot group (see attached pic). I'm using a Leupold Ultislam scope and at 200 yards, you use a dot to aim. At a 100 yards, you have a cross hair. It's a bit harder to aim with the dot instead of the crosshair, and it was a bit windy today (Angeles Ranges in So Cal).

I've been using Triple 7 as I have two pounds and need to use it up. I've got some Blackhorn 209 and need to do some testing with it as I'd rather use it in the long term and especially for hunting.
I shot with 100 grains of powder, and when I went to 110 grains, the group really opened up at 200 yards. I think I'll stick with 100 grains.

Have people found that that Blackhorn 209 is any more accurate? I've shot it a bit, but I haven't done any direct comparisons between loads.
Can one expect much greater accuracy at 200 yards? It seems pretty good and should give me a bit of range when I go antelope hunting in Arizona this fall.

Attachments

myfriendis410

Reaction score
I typically got 1" groups with 110 gr. of loose 777 in my Omega. I have been getting 1/2" groups with the same amount of B.H. 209 and a ww primer behind a 250 gr. TMZ.

As to shooting groups, use your 100 yard crosshair for precision and paste a target above your impact point, or just shoot the group. You will be better able to determine overall accuracy of the load, and you have already determined that the reticle is correct for 200 yards. That way you can determine if the load is working for you at yardage. I shot some 200 yard stuff and was getting in the 1 1/2" range with about 8" of drop, which is what I expected. When you use B.H. 209, be sure to pre clean your rifle with Hoppe's and don't clean between shots!

huntley

Reaction score
Good idea on using the 100 yard crosshair at 200 yards. It will definitely be more precise and give a better indicator of 200 yard accuracy.

I'll have to try the BH 209 and see if it gets me equal or improved results. I might also be able to go with a heavier charge in the BH. The only down side to the BH is cost, but you do save a lot of time and also don't need nearly as many patches for cleaning.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom