Teal decoys

dhodsdon

Reaction score
I just bought 2 dozen teal decoys for 18$ a dozen, and I am wondering if anyone uses teal decoys? How effective are they? Am I better off just using mallard decoys?

Duke

Reaction score
I was hunting last year with a mixture  of mallard and a dozen teal decoys.  We had the teal by them self and had more than one bunch of teal land in them.

Chessie

Reaction score
I've hunted with a dozen teal decoys for about 10 years now and I agree the teal will go directly to them.  Try this, during the early part of the season keep the dozen decoys away from the mallards (but of course within shooting distance), then as the season progresses move them closer to the mallards.  I never fully integrate them together but I find 9 out of 10 times the teal I shoot will be over the teal dekes.  Good luck.

TealMan

Reaction score
I use quite a few teal decoys in my spread, and you can definitely tell that the teal (at least the ones that work) go to them.

Jay

Reaction score
Yerp, them teal dekes work.

I tend to place 1/2 dozen on the downwind side of the spread like a bomber squadron that just buzzed in. I made my drakes more flashy than they came from the factory to make them stand out.

hntndux

Reaction score
Ditto on all the post above.  I do exactly whay Jay described and it works great.  I've had numerous times my dozen decoys turned into two dozen without me knowing until I heard the splashes...

Ponscm

Reaction score
Especially toward the end of the season, I will leave most of my mallard dekes at home and bring out a dozen teal, 3 or 4 mallards, and a few sprig.  It seems to work pretty well on the refuge when every other spread is exactly the same (1 dozen mallard,1 dozen sprig).  Change your spread up, and shoot those little teal when they wing in...they are the best eating of the bunch (IMHO).

Ponscm

Reaction score
By the way, where did you pick up teal dekes for $18 per dozen?!?!

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
I go one step further with the decoy spread.  Spend a little time at the refuge or any concentration of ducks and you NEVER see them seperated totally by species.  On the refuges I use a dozen teal,  four shovelers,  four cans, four widgeon, and six of both mallards and sprig.  I place the cans off by themselves, and jumble the rest.  Since the teal are little I can get all of this in my bag.  I honestly believe that the different shapes and colors makes the spread look more lifelike.  Works for me....

buckhunter

Reaction score
I use 4 drakes and 4hens and the teal come into them before the will even look at the decoys around them. i usually have them land in the dekes before shoot time even hits.

dhodsdon

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great advice on those teal decoys. I hunt mendota and the kings river out of Lemoore and shoot a lot of teal every year. when you guys see the teal working out in the distance what call do you guys use? I use a "wingsetter whistle" and an "ol' raspy" duck commander.

Ponscm: I find really good deals on http://www.duckhunter.net in the classified section. I am getting them from an old guiding business in Texas.

MQ

Reaction score
I use an Acme Thunderer whistle for teal (and widgeon). Sounds exactly right for the teal. I chip out the ball in the whistle and roll my tongue when calling, similar to a sprig whistle. I'm sure I drive nearby hunters crazy with my constant calling in the early morning, but it really works.

TealMan

Reaction score
I use both a Maurillo and Wingsetter, and try the mallard call if the whistling isn't working.  MQ's post reminds me of a story I was told by my father.  Apparently, when I was real little, I got a red and white plastic whistle for Christmas.  Well, my dad heard the thing, and thought it sounded an awful lot like a teal, so he took it with him the next week to Volta.  He said that the teal were just dive-bombing him, and he limited out on them quickly.  I sure wish I had that whistle. :p

overunder

Reaction score
I always put 4 dekes in close to the edge of the pond about 10 yards upwind of my blind by themselves.This really seems to work well for me.

Chris

Reaction score
I use green wing and cinnamon teal decoys.  We shoot a bunch of cinnamons in southern CA,  so I've started putting out a few hand painted cinnamons.  They seem to like it.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
One day I had a little teal decoy come drifting into my mallards and sprig.  It had a good growth of algae on it, and no one else was in the pond, so I picked it up and brought it home.  

Now whenever I set out my decoys, I always drop the little teal about ten or fifteen yards off my mallards, all by his lonesome.  I can't count the number of greenwings I've shot over that little decoy.  

Sometimes I'll help out with my 7-in-1 whistle.  A few trills will turn them all the way across the pond, and they zero right in on that lone decoy.  Actually, that teal call is the ONLY one I have any confidence in.  Can't quack a quacker worth a dang.

hronk

Reaction score
They are a great confedence decoy, as are coot decoys.  I have a bunch of old Victor decoys that I painted black with a white bill, and as birds become waryer (is that a word???) they seem to help out.....hronk  

Top Bottom