Technical OWL ?

Possum

Reaction score
I did the crazy thing of taking a perfectly good camera already modified and trying to improve it.  When I put batteries in it the flash comes on at the red-eye reduction level.  Cna anyone tell me which pins are shorting out inside the camera?  I think it is #4 and ???.  I did this once when I had the three wires outside the camera and touched #4 to either #1 or #2.  If you have done this please let me know before I completely junk this cam.  It is the round-dial OWL.  Thanks for the help.

Okay, forget about the help - I believe that one is smoke.  Anyone got good uses for burned up OWL's?  I never could find out where the short was and then poof with a wisp of smoak everything got hot.   I guess I could buy an OWL without a date back and put this date back on it.

(Edited by Possum at 10:39 pm on Oct. 4, 2001)

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Possum,
I don't *think* you can swap date backs onto a non-date back camera.  The camera body has to have those two little contacts that create a connection with the date back.

Check out a non date back cam and see if it has the contacts.

If you can't find any use for the dead cam, I'd be willing to buy the carcass as long as the date back still works.  I have one of these cams that was assaulted by "mega-bear" and he destroyed the dateback.

Archilochus

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Was Modifying an owl PF yesterday(brand new)and had some problems with the gold traces(ouch)well after fixing this i got things shorted and all the digitals went out and it wouldnt turn on,being tired i thought it was toast but after resting i went back to it and it was ok,got it working  whew!*wipes brow*

Possum

Reaction score
Archilochus, I may take you up on that.  I just went to Target and bought a OWL PF.  My wife is going to shoot me if she finds out.  49.99 isn't that bad though and it came with a roll of Kodak 400 film and two batteries.  I'll use the batteries to test with.    They had two more for anyone in the Columbia, SC area.   If I can't get the old OWL to work I'll give you a e-mail.  

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Don't forget, those cams run on smoke and won't work if it ever gets out! ! !

Advertisement

Top Bottom