Technical Tip

Gumboyaya

Reaction score
I have four homebrews and all work great thanks to all the help I got here. The first Owl I wired up went perfect but the second I tried to wire the 4 common wire to one of the gold dots w/+ sign and in doing so the little traces came up and the camera wouldn’t work. I finally rewire the 4 lead to the terminal at the top of the little circuit  board (next to the 5-6 bridge). The camera then worked great but the manual rewind never worked. I had to press the shutter until the roll ended and then it would rewind on its own for film change.

The other day I was looking at the pics of the owl provided by shrcircuit with the front facing off. I had never had to remove the front since I always wired on the top board. Well I got the idea I could fix the forced rewind some kinda way by wiring across some of the top leads. I tried wiring directly from 4 to the push button “dot” on the circuit board that triggers the rewind and ended up messing the board up more. When I got through putting everything back the flash controls were not working (they were previously). I was very disappointed and regretted fooling with it.

I started messing with it again and through experimentation I found that by jumping a wire from the 4 terminal to the + dot that  controls the flas or the gold dot next to it to the right that on each press of the jumper the flash controls would cycle thru flash, no flash, and auto flash. I also noted that jumping the 4 terminal lead to the dot to the right of that dot causes the shutter to trigger and a pic is taken. And what was really neat by jumping the 4 lead to the dot at the bottom far right (the forced rewind) of the board would trigger the rewind.

Well I solderd three little wires (each about ½ inch); one to the rewind dot, one to the shutter control dot, and one to the flash control dot and and all three wires sticking up. I removed the rubber boot from the board cover and put all back together and got the wires sticking up throught the cover shutter button hole (along with my main camera wire from terminals 4 and 5-6). I then siliconed all holes up good  with the tips of the three wires (ends stripped off so I could jump them) sticking out the silicon by about an eighth of an inch.

Well my camera to pir wire connects via stereo jack (not RS, I went down that bad road too), but a quality plug. It just so happenened that I had the plug end from the camera wired to the 4 lead on the circuit board. So now prior to putting the camera in the for deployment I set the flash by jumping my plug to the proper wire sticking up at the top of the camera. Likewise I can fire off a shot manually, and I can now (my original problem) trigger the forced rewind. Jesus, this is long winded but maybe it can help someone having similar problems.
Gumbo

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Thanx for posting the tip GB!   These are just the kinds of tips that gets people out of hot water sometimes.....

Tinhorn

Gumboyaya

Reaction score
I wish i could have posted a pic of what i did, i don't know if i explained it well but my camer works as good as any now, its kinda cool looking w/three wire tips sicking out the top!
gumbo

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks Gumboyaya,

This may save a camera. Your're a brave soul.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom