Tehama Wildlife Area????

Cal Kellogg

I've hunted in eastern Tehama County on and off, mostly on for the past 30 years, but I've never been in the Tehama Wildlife Area during the season. Has anyone here hunted it? What should I expect in terms of crowds? It a big area, so I was wondering....Also if you have any tips I'd love to hear them. I've got a plan, but always enjoy hearing more information...My pass is for the final 4 days of the season.

ZEKEDAWG

Go down the grapevine to the lower reaches of Antelope. Chuck rocks. The lower the better, Better have a stout rig the lava is crazy, Every available camp site will be full. Some over full. But the numbers of hunters isn't bad, if you use it to your advantage. Most cruise the roads. Those willing to spend some boot leather and have a good set of eyeballs should see numbers of bucks. Shoot a meat buck near the road or hold for a toad. There should be good numbers based on the snow we got earlier. Hunt all day, pack a lunch and don't spend the daylight hours in camp. Awesome sight in the TWA, some awesome canyons that are extremely rugged and picturesque. we expect a full detail story, pictures and you have to be on a 4pt limit till the last day. You should hold out for a hanger, we expect nothing less than 20" spread too.

Last edited:

Pops

Yep. If you get off the road you will see some good bucks. I've been hunting that area for more than 30 years. All the washes hold deer. Spt and stock. Or but them out of the brush. They ate in there we will be hunting the first season TWA. best of luck.
Here is a tode I got in B 1 opening weekend.

20190921_194127.jpg

Pops

Well TWA was a bust first season. Hot weather, a lack of water and no acorns. The deer were spread from the timderline to the Wildlife area and holding tight. We were able to bust a couple of bucks out of some draws but not get a safe or ethical shot. But we had a great time with the family as always durring deer season. Hope some of you filled your tags. 👍

Top Bottom