Tejon April 25-27

loadsprayer

Reaction score
I am heading out to hunt one of Tejon Public Hunts next weekend for pigs, just wondering if anyone else is planning on going that same weekend. I will be dragging my 5th wheel for camping. If you see a brown F-250 truck come by and say hello.

This is my only 2nd pig hunt, so it should be interesting to say the least...

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Go git 'em!

I was just thinking how much I'd love to slip out and kill a pig real soon... but got something else scheduled on the 25-26 weekend.

Looking forward to pics and stories!

ROBruin

Reaction score
Loadsprayer,
My buddy Ken and I will be hunting the same hunt. I've got a silver Jeep JK. It's our second hunt at Tejon also. Look forward to meeting you. Good Luck
Rob

Reaction score
I will be at tejon on that weekend. I cant wait. This will be my maiden trip with my bro, not only to TEJON , but for those tuskers period. If anyone and I mean ANYONE has any info on good places to hunt please post and post quickly. We will be departing tomorrow after work. I would love some info about the ranch. Thanks in advance to any and all posts. Regardless of the outcome I will post next week and give you guys some input on kills and the over all hunt experience and out come. My hopes are up, gun is sighted in and my trigger finger is itchin!!!!!!!!!!

ROBruin

Reaction score
I'll be up there friday morning for orientation. My buddy and I have hunted the north side, this will be our first on the south. Ask questions at orientation, the staff is more than helpful. Good Luck,
Rob

Reaction score
okay if anyone was waiting for my post on last weekends hunt it was awesome and the success rate was good I think. the first day we drove alot looking for what my brother and i felt was a good area. right away a few pigs ran across the road in front of us and we were out giving chase, to no avail we retreated to the truck and continued, noting of course that there were pigs in that area. sat. morning we awoke and had high hopes, we did not even see a single pig and were standing in front of the drawing board again. we decided to introduce ourselves to a couple of hunters in another camp and ask what to look for and just a general area that might be good. they were very helpful and had lots of information to share. to make a long story short i tied the big pig weight at 168# w/ 1.75" tusks, my brother got a young boar, my uncle got a nice sow and my dad killed a big sow at 504yds. while i was dialing him in with the balistics and his shot vicinity. all in all the fellow hunters were all very courteous and helpful, thanks to them my group was 100% successful. there will be lots of meat in the freezer. To the 2 hunters that helped me and my bro thanx alot.......

ROBruin

Reaction score
Isolated addicti.. Congrats, We only got the one pig, We tried a new area sunday. Should have went back to where I talked to you about. It was a great hunt wasn't it? Take Care, Rob

Jay, did you get my reply to your e-mail? I'll send dates for deer season, just picked up the 2008 regs.
Rob

hogsarunnin

Reaction score
504 yards is a great shot, I am curious what caliber was he shooting?

Reaction score
Rob.... yeh that sounds familiar.. hey guys from me and my group thanx again. You guys have helped make a life long memory and stories will be told for many years to come. I am trying to upload pics and havent been successful. The cal. my dad was shooting is a rem. 700, 30-06, 150gr. and the hold over was approx. 3' give or take. Also those barnes bullets are devastating, to the point of too much penetration. That bullet punched all the way through and through the upper shoulder area of my dads hog. Any ways yes that was an awesome hunt and i hope to mingle a little more on the next one, but being our first trip it was all bussiness this time. until then hold steady, aim small and shoot straight.

gowanstarr

Reaction score
[attachment=51608:scan0002.jpg]
My pig from the hunt.

Hey One Track remember me! I'm the guy you helped out with some info about hunting the pigs on Tejon a couple months back. Well I got pics to prove the info helped, along with the help of ROBruin giving us some spots to check out. First off THANKS!!! I was getting pretty frustrated to say the least on friday and saturday morning. Me and my bro were trying to get to know the ranch as well as we could and as it ended up we seemed to be in all the wrong spots. That all changed once we talked to Rob. I was a little under the weather so my brother was actually doing all the talking. Saturday night was an awesome night for two brothers on there first pig hunt at Tejon. Just before dark the the pigs just started coming out of the wood work. I was on one ridge glassing and my bro was on another. I heard my brother shoot and then heard a big "Yeah Baby". You know what that means "Pig Down", well I thought. I ran over there to see and soon as I crested the hill there was another pig, One shot with the 7 mag threw both shoulders dropped'em like a ton of bricks. My bro's pig ran down into some thick brush into a deep dark canyon 5 minutes before dark. We went over the shot placement and decided that it would be best to come back first thing in the morning, which turned out to be the best thing we could have done. We descended into the canyon in the morning and found my bro's pig in the creek still alive chomping at us. So what does my brother say,"Hold'em while I stab him". What did I say "No Thanks" as he is lunging after my brother. Once my bro saw the size of his tuskers and his bad attitude we decided that a bullet might work better. We found a road at the bottom which made it truly an "Easy Pack". I say easy pack with quotations beacause its an inside joke between me and my brother. I killed an elk in Oregon in the bottom of a draw and told him it was an "easy pack", well half a day later and both of us dying he wanted to kill me for saying it was an easy pack going straight up hill with an elk!! Sunday night with a little help from me and my bro spotting my dad and uncle tagged out. My dad made an unbelievable shot at 504 yards with my bro calling the shots. I cant explain what the trip meant to a family of hunters. The trip was unbelieveable for us all and we will definitely be back..

Attachments

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Nice work, fellas. That sounds like the perfect (and textbook) Tejon hunt!

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
Weekends like that will always have you coming back for more. Glad to hear your first hunt was a success. Now when are you guys headed back?

ROBruin

Reaction score
Isolated, Gowan, great job guys, great pics! We're having a pig roast next weekend down here. We make Tejon an annual thing so let me know if you're interested.
Take care, Rob

Reaction score
Hey thanx guys, Rob, even my dad is already looking forward to an annual trip, so of course we are interested in next year. We'll have to try and hook up. Unfortunately we live 4+ hrs. away so we will not be able to make it to the roast. Sounds like a blast though. Do you guys or have you archery hunted pigs before? I think if it is possible maybe next year bringing both weapons and with a litt
le team work, taking a pig with a bow. Now that sounds fun!!!!!! From what i saw this last hunt there should be a couple of opportunities to capitalize on.

Top Bottom